What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! Nighttime smoke illumination

noelf

Well Known Member
I seem to recall some posts a few years ago of a group that installed belly lights to illuminate the smoke stream for night time viewing. I was unable to find this using the Search Function on the forums. Does anyone know who did this and what lighting was used?

I seem to recall some posts a few years ago of a group that installed belly lights to illuminate the smoke stream for night time viewing. I was unable to find this using the Search Function on the forums. Does anyone know who did this and what lighting was used?

Try googling Aeroshell T-6. Some of their night performances should be on the EAA site or YouTube.

Yes, I found several non-RV teams. I am specifically looking for RV implementation. I "think" I recalled an RV group that tried several iterations and ended up with aft mounted, specific lamp selection, and simi-conformal belly mounted, aft pointing light.

Yes, I found several non-RV teams. I am specifically looking for RV implementation. I "think" I recalled an RV group that tried several iterations and ended up with aft mounted, specific lamp selection, and simi-conformal belly mounted, aft pointing light.

I think Team AeroDynamix did this with their RV's. It looks like fire coming out the exhaust at night-- really cool. Ask Kahuna!

I saw them perform at night in Florida once, I was really impressed - it looked for the world that they were flying jets!

Team AeroDynamix

We used 6-inch Whelen LED landing lights mounted on the belly about 4 feet forward of the tailwheel. They were turned on with the smoke oil pump switch.

Back