What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nae pockets in a shroud

Jamesey

Well Known Member
New section 46 eliminates requirement for engine cooling shroud. Will make my belated installation a bit easier.

Now they tell us!!
Taking an expensive, brand new engine apart and hoping I could get it back together again (and not void the warranty) wasn't fun. The only consolation us older builders will have from now on is bragging rights. "Huh, call yourself a home-builder. Well, back in my day we had these cooling shrouds ..." ;)

Will this reduce the cost of the FWF kit? The UK ? to US $ exchange rate has gone so bad since we decided to leave the EU that my engine is going to cost me about ?4K more than planned!

Will this reduce the cost of the FWF kit? The UK ? to US $ exchange rate has gone so bad since we decided to leave the EU that my engine is going to cost me about ?4K more than planned!

It should, but probably not by very much in the scheme of things - it's only a fibreglass component. But it will save quite a bit in both time and peace of mind.

Still trying to figure out what change alllowed the elimination of the FF-1207 cooling shroud. Does that mean that for us earlier builders, if we ever need to remove the shroud for any reason, that we can now eliminate it? Maybe they just figured out that the shroud was ineffective. To be honest, it never made much sense to me in the first place. Who knows!

Tom

Not that I own a 12 any more, but elimination of the shroud will make it possible to check the torque on the top engine mount bolts during an annual.

With the shroud in place, there is no way to get a wrench on the top mounting bolts. For existing installation, I guess one could now drill some access holes in the shroud that would let you get a socket on those bolts.

With the shroud in place, there is no way to get a wrench on the top mounting bolts. For existing installation, I guess one could now drill some access holes in the shroud that would let you get a socket on those bolts.
It sounds like you may be talking about the notification that came out a while back (http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/letters/FF-1207_Cooling_Shroud_Mod.pdf). It involves modifying the shroud to give access to the engine mounting bolt that was inaccessible.

Still trying to figure out what change alllowed the elimination of the FF-1207 cooling shroud. Does that mean that for us earlier builders, if we ever need to remove the shroud for any reason, that we can now eliminate it? Maybe they just figured out that the shroud was ineffective. To be honest, it never made much sense to me in the first place. Who knows!

Tom

One (minor) use of the shroud was to provide a way to divert cooling air to the VR. Now that the VR has been moved out of the engine room that is no longer necessary. I'm guessing the guys at Van's decided to experiment and found that the shroud does not significantly improve cooling.

It will be interesting to see if temps go up without the shroud. I will be looking for pireps. If it truly is not needed, mine will be taken off.

Tom O.

Back