What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet question

Jskyking

Well Known Member
This afternoon,I was putting the finishing touches on the rib to rear spar attachment points and there was a AN426-4-8 rivet that wasn?t sitting quite flush in the countersink on the fork. So, I drilled out the suspect rivet and somewhere in the process, drilled out the hole a slight bit more than needed. When I re-squeezed the rivet the head didn?t sit flush in the countersink. I drilled it out , thinking that I could either use an Oops rivet in the hole or drill out the hole to the next size AN426-5-8.
Looking online, I didn?t see any 4-8 Oops rivets. I think that I?m faced with going to a 5-8 or accepting having the rivet head stand slightly proud in the countersunk hole.
Hopefully, someone will have a better solution to preclude stepping up to a 5-8 and still being able to set the rivet flush in the countersink. Thanks

Note-
The suspect rivet position is circled in green.

op2.png

I remember using some half-size rivets on my 14 for the rear spar aileron support bracket SB. I think they were 9/64".. Worked well, since the original rivet makes the hole bigger when squeezed anyway...only problem was they were sold in 1 lb batches only...can't remember the company, but there are a few out there

I found this one:

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/3501.htm

Last edited:
Never drill through a rivet! Search here for proper removal technique or the EAA has some good video on how to do it. It is very difficult to drill out a rivet and not damage the hole if you drill through it.

Never drill through a rivet! Search here for proper removal technique or the EAA has some good video on how to do it. It is very difficult to drill out a rivet and not damage the hole if you drill through it.

:confused: Google EAA Rivet removal and the first thing that comes up is drilling it out. lol
http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5728392524001/drilling-out-a-rivet?autoStart=true&q=removing%20rivets
It is also spelled out in the Van's manual to drill them out.
There are even fancy drills you can get to do it. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetremoval.php?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTo6Kfn6sq9w8bSYxC68Xj4vTMVq0oDcHBtR9a4_wmoIriXvGr3FwYaAqinEALw_wcB
Even pulled rivets get drilled out after punching out the stem.

How else other than drilling would you do it?? :confused:

Last edited:

Oh wait, did you mean don't drill all the way through it? That would make sense. My bad. :eek:

Last edited:
Oh wait, did you mean don't drill all the way through it? That would make sense. My bad. :eek:

Yes
Easy trap. It?s always been referred to as ?drill out?. What else could that mean right?
Most of us made that mistake and ruined a few holes before we understood ?drill out? isn?t drill through.

One guarantee: You won?t do that again.

Yes
Easy trap. It?s always been referred to as ?drill out?. What else could that mean right?
Most of us made that mistake and ruined a few holes before we understood ?drill out? isn?t drill through.

One guarantee: You won?t do that again.

And especially don't ever try to drill out a pulled rivet before punching out the mandrel.
When building my light box kit I was impatient waiting for my new 1/16 punch to arrive and... luckily I had a couple larger rivets on hand. :rolleyes:

It is also spelled out in the Van's manual to drill them out.
You shouldn't drill through any of the shank portion of the rivet with a net diam drill bit......

If you read the process in Section 5 of the manual it is very specific and not just simply "drilling it out" with a drill bit the same diameter as the hole.

Back