What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Number two exhaust pipe

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Wondering about whether or not to replace my number two exhaust pipe on my still not finished 12 or wait until just before first flight? Hoping to get a pi-rep on the replacement pipe from people who have purchased and flown the Van's replacement pipe.

It kind of looks like the consequences of not installing the Van's replacement pipe could be lethal.

I'd hate to buy and install the Van's replacement pipe only to find out that a better replacement pipe had been developed even before I make my first flight. Any pi-reps or suggestions as far as waiting to purchase and install the replacement pipe? Thanks to those who reply.

Ed-

I too have the version of the #2 exhaust pipe that requires replacement. I've had the new replacement pipe for weeks and have just been waiting to perform the swap when doing an oil change .... likely today.

I'm guessing there will not be a need for another replacement for the #2 exhaust pipe ... so if I were you, just make the change now while it is easy for you and don't look back. You will have peace of mind during your first flight and that will be one less distraction for you to worry about.

Happy building,

We cut some patches from bent tubing and welded them on as per the modified exhaust.

So we created our own 'new pipe'.

I had an exhaust pipe shear on my first home built, a WAR FW-190. It was a lousy design with too much unsupported weight cantilevered at the end. When it broke the exhaust impinged directly on the stainless steel firewall which caused the wood structure behind it to start charring even though there was a layer of fiber flax insulation. I figured out it happened when my cockpit started to smell like a BBQ pit. Fortunately I was in my 40 hour test phase and about 10 miles from an airport. I learned a lot from that project, but I was glad to sell it to my German cousin ?- his wife was not thrilled.

Back