What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Unfriendly Airports?

N941WR

Legacy Member
The recent post requesting information on "RV Friendly Airports" got me wondering, are there "RV un-Friendly Airports" out there and what makes them "un-friendly"?

Although not unfriendly airport but unfriendly comments about RVs at some airports in the Houston area. I recently heard a group of slow big tire pilots complaining in general about RV pilots because they come in fast to do low approaches and cut in front of others in the pattern.

This has nothing to do with the airport itself but it does remind us just because we have faster planes doesn't mean we have to fly like jerks.

I've been a victim of the slow Piper 777 doing the 3 mile base to final turn and have even done a few 360s to give him more time. It's a hassle but not a reason to give our planes a bad reputation over it.

The taxiways at Reno Stead will swallow your tailwheel whole, and not even spit out the hub for re-use.... ;)

Last edited:
Although not unfriendly airport but unfriendly comments about RVs at some airports in the Houston area. I recently heard a group of slow big tire pilots complaining in general about RV pilots because they come in fast to do low approaches and cut in front of others in the pattern.

This has nothing to do with the airport itself but it does remind us just because we have faster planes doesn't mean we have to fly like jerks.

I've been a victim of the slow Piper 777 doing the 3 mile base to final turn and have even done a few 360s to give him more time. It's a hassle but not a reason to give our planes a bad reputation over it.

Having a bunch of time in no radio Cubs, Champs, Tcrafts, etc. I do my best to enter patterns at or slightly above flap speed. Any faster, and you will eat a Cub doing 60 mph on downwind before you realize they are there.

Like you, if other, slower traffic is closer to the airport, I will slow down and let them go first. Being able to slow down or speed up is all part of bag of tricks we all carry, why not impress everyone with our lowspeed handling, since they already know we are fast?

Yes, it drives me crazy when someone flies to the next county when in the pattern, but you don't know if it is a student on their first solo or someone trying to sort out an issue. It won't hurt to slow and give them the right of way.

Last edited:
A few years ago Ms. Patti and I were heading to a family event in Key West. A tropical storm spinning out near Cuba said we were not flying all the way, so the plan was to get as far as we could, then grab a rental car for the rest.

When we ran out of good air, the nearest airport was Boca Raton. Hey, ok, that sounds nice!

The line crew kinda waved toward a spot well away from the front door and went back to their mole hole. It was raining, zero help. I humped the bags, then told the front desk we would be leaving the RV-8 for three or four days. Given the storm headed into Florida, did they have a bit of hangar space? The impeccably dressed and manicured young lady examined the hangar rates in leather-clad book for a moment, then stopped, looked at me, and with honest puzzlement, asked "Mr. Horton, did you say you flew here in a single engine airplane?"

That detail confirmed, the hangar rate was $125 per night. I elected for a tiedown...at which time I was told I would need to move it waaaaaay up the ramp.

Fuel was $8.65.

I wouldn't call it RV unfriendly. Actually, they were friendly enough, and I doubt Cirrus and Bonanza owners had it any better. The place obviously catered to the well-heeled, and we were wearing sneakers ;)

I am a partner in an older classic certificated aircraft and I can confirm when I am flying the RV it stirs up odd negative comments at times that don?t happen with the other bird which I attribute to well deserved jealousy.

I guess I'm just lucky because when I flew across the Country a few years ago, I was treated like royalty all the way across and back...with the exception of Torrance, CA [TOA]. My best experience was in Santa Fe, NM. Tower complimented me on my crosswind landing, and told me to "Follow the Truck" when off. Yes, the Jet Center had a "Follow Me" truck which marshalled me to my parking spot amongst the Jets and Bonanzas. The line guy helped me tie down, fueled me up, and got on the radio to have the staff arrange a hotel for me. Then gave me a ride back to the FBO. I could get used to being treated like that.

GFUrLz.jpg

Just wondering, why is it that the faster plane is the "jerk" when a much slower plane does a 3 mile final? Im just finishing my pilots license so I am open to learn. Why isn't it the same as a slower car pulling out of the way going up a hill?

Just wondering, why is it that the faster plane is the "jerk" when a much slower plane does a 3 mile final? Im just finishing my pilots license so I am open to learn. Why isn't it the same as a slower car pulling out of the way going up a hill?

It is the old George Carlin routine.

Anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac.

Anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot.

We fly faster than most, so...

When you quote only part of the comment it takes it all out of context. I never said flying the faster plane makes anyone a jerk on the contrary I said just because we fly a faster plane doesn't mean we have to act like jerks (for example cutting in front of slower planes in the pattern contrary to Regulations).

Regarding student pilots, I think it's a disservice to teach them to fly a 3 mile final hanging from the prop with power trying to land on the numbers.

First if that engine hick-ups you'll land somewhere before the runway and it's not only dangerous it's going to be hard to explain how you were in the pattern and didn't make it to the runway.

Second the student is supposed to be pointing their approach to the land on first third of the runway so you're not supposed to be trying to land on the numbers. Have you ever seen a commercial airplane with professional pilots land on the numbers? ** Please not looking for exceptions like St Martin or St Barts, been there done that, landed there many times, not the point. Still if you want to land on the numbers then point ahead of that point for your approach, but I digress.

I understand when I have a student that might not be ready and might need more time to set up for the approach, that's fine to extend, but as a CFI it's my job to see that and get them ready earlier the next flight around the pattern. When the plane is doing the same 3 mile pattern over and over and over, that's an issue.

When you quote only part of the comment it takes it all out of context. I never said flying the faster plane makes anyone a jerk on the contrary I said just because we fly a faster plane doesn't mean we have to act like jerks (for example cutting in front of slower planes in the pattern contrary to Regulations).

Regarding student pilots, I think it's a disservice to teach them to fly a 3 mile final hanging from the prop with power trying to land on the numbers.

First if that engine hick-ups you'll land somewhere before the runway and it's not only dangerous it's going to be hard to explain how you were in the pattern and didn't make it to the runway.

Second the student is supposed to be pointing their approach to the land on first third of the runway so you're not supposed to be trying to land on the numbers. Have you ever seen a commercial airplane with professional pilots land on the numbers? ** Please not looking for exceptions like St Martin or St Barts, been there done that, landed there many times, not the point. Still if you want to land on the numbers then point ahead of that point for your approach, but I digress.

I understand when I have a student that might not be ready and might need more time to set up for the approach, that's fine to extend, but as a CFI it's my job to see that and get them ready earlier the next flight around the pattern. When the plane is doing the same 3 mile pattern over and over and over, that's an issue.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't my intention to suggest you were calling pilots of faster planes jerks. It was meant to suggest just the opposite - that the slow plane pilot could also be the jerk in the pattern. Like I said, Im just finishing up my ticket. I have done hundreds of hours in the right seat but not the same as PIC.

I understand cutting someone off is bad form, but thought a person doing a long, slow, final was also poor form especially when other planes are in the pattern. . As a student, I can understand needing time to "set up", but my instructor makes sure I am not holding up other pilots. We are lucky to have several airports close so that helps Im sure.

I just think all pilots - both flying slow or fast planes have the responsibility to pay attention to each other and either could be a "jerk" in the pattern.

Ihaven't found any RV-unfriendly airports.

But I have found tailwheel unfriendly airports in that they don't have 3 point tie downs - just 2 point. Signature at KSYR (Syracuse NY) is one such place.

When I first started flying my plane, I would drag it in like that. After a while, I realized that was wrong for all the reasons you mentioned. Nowadays, I fly a higher pattern (1,200'-1,500'), a rounded base, a steeper approach, and land farther down the runway - all traffic and runway length permitting, of course. Doing all these things is a LOT safer, IMHO, an it doesn't tie up the airspace for very long. Allow me to post a short video (Since this is an RV forum, please imagine these wings are aluminum; The speeds are about the same). As the video begins, I was at 1,000' AGL turning final.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u7frzifonyhnvw/2019-04-06 T&Gs_0598.mp4?dl=0

I have gotten comments from slow movers with students before, airborne. Irritated me, I was fully aware of them and adjusted my pattern. It does bother me when slower folks flying deep patterns get irritated with me cutting in line when I can take off and land 3 times when they are on final. I don?t do anything stupid or cause them delay; I guess it is the perception of delay or ignorance. I agree as the IP get your student ready sooner. I instructed in a plane that had the ability to land real slow but fly the pattern fast. It made me so angry when students waisted gas and time going slowly around the pattern (when the pattern was empty or there were faster aircraft in the pattern).

When I first started flying my plane, I would drag it in like that. After a while, I realized that was wrong for all the reasons you mentioned. Nowadays, I fly a higher pattern (1,200'-1,500'), a rounded base, a steeper approach, and land farther down the runway - all traffic and runway length permitting, of course. Doing all these things is a LOT safer, IMHO, an it doesn't tie up the airspace for very long. Allow me to post a short video (Since this is an RV forum, please imagine these wings are aluminum; The speeds are about the same). As the video begins, I was at 1,000' AGL turning final.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u7frzifonyhnvw/2019-04-06 T&Gs_0598.mp4?dl=0

That was a nice stable approach and that's what I strive for and teach for the majority of landings, of course adjusting for short fields, obstacles, etc. as needed.

Last edited:
To the orginal question, these are examples of FBOs who dislike RVs:
- No maintenance allowed in your hangar.
- No air compressor allowed in your hangar.
- No storage of stuff in your hangar - like oil, parts, etc.
- No refrigerator or chairs (don?t want to promote anyone spending time in the hangar).
- Even if your hangar can hold two RVs, this is not allowed unless both RV owners pay full rent. The objective is obvious, they want people to rent another hangar BUT this was at an airport with a multi-year hangar waiting list.
- Only flying airplanes allowed in the hangar.

Carefully read the hangar lease before you commit.

I?m lucky - I left one of these FBOs (and all the associated battles) to live the dream at Dogwood Airpark (VA42).

Carl

My wife and I have crossed this great country more than once in our RV4 and have never had a bad experience, most were great experiences. I believe in being considerate and polite, and treating others as I would like to be treated. It makes a big difference - most people will reciprocate. These RV?s have a very wide flight envelope, they fly very slow very well. Practice and use all the plane?s capibilities. We are a smalll community and what we do as individuals reflect on everyone in the community. Remember we were all student pilots at one time and most of us continue to be ?students of piloting?.

That was a nice stable landing and that's what I strive for and teach for the majority of landings, of course adjusting for short fields, obstacles, etc. as needed.

Hopefully if you are teaching RV pilots to land "A" models, you aren't teaching them to land flat (3 point).

Hopefully if you are teaching RV pilots to land "A" models, you aren't teaching them to land flat (3 point).

You're correct, it was a spelling mistake. Notice I was talking about the approach. I mistakenly typed "landing" when the first one should have been "approach". As you can see I used the word landing at the end of the sentence meaning the entire sequence of events. A stabilized approach works for A models and any models. I've corrected it in the original post, thanks.

Last edited:
I have gotten comments from slow movers with students before, airborne. Irritated me, I was fully aware of them and adjusted my pattern. It does bother me when slower folks flying deep patterns get irritated with me cutting in line when I can take off and land 3 times when they are on final. I don’t do anything stupid or cause them delay; I guess it is the perception of delay or ignorance.

I dealt with this all the time in the Pitts at my old airport with students (and private pilots) going round and round the pattern all day long in trainers. Most of them were prone to the extended downwind, 1+ mile final syndrome. I wouldn't turn inside them if they were on final, but if I was behind them on downwind, I'd simply communicate to them where I was, what I was doing, that I had them in sight, and that I'd be out of their way no factor. Then I'd turn base to final inside them and be clear of the runway and halfway taxied to my hangar before they turned final. They never even saw me. Most were cool with this. Others required a little time to understand the capabilities of the Pitts and that I was being considerate and working well within the general flow of traffic.

Referencing Houston and RVs, I've been doing them 30+ and nearly 20 years, respectively. I'm sure the occasional conflicts of perspective occur, but it's rare. More often, it's the people who don't realize that climbing at 2,000 fpm is not illegal and that an overhead approach is in the AIM and can be done safely and politely with other planes around, who make the remarks.

Actually, within the last 5, 7 years I have not seen or heard anything that would be any less than very accommodating to the local training and weekend flyers. But that's south, east and north sides of town. Don't spend much time on the west side.

All it takes is a call on the radio. You can tell if someone's new and loaded up. I/we either steer completely clear of that field, or stay well clear of these people. The average, competent Piper/Cessna pilot gets a polite and clear call on the radio if we're trying to make an approach to the field in formation or permission is requested to overtake or maneuver around them. And its never done in a manner to cause them any delay or imposition. Come to think of it, I've never seen an RV pilot cut off someone in the traffic pattern around Houston.

Referencing Houston and RVs, I've been doing them 30+ and nearly 20 years, respectively. I'm sure the occasional conflicts of perspective occur, but it's rare. More often, it's the people who don't realize that climbing at 2,000 fpm is not illegal and that an overhead approach is in the AIM and can be done safely and politely with other planes around, who make the remarks.

Actually, within the last 5, 7 years I have not seen or heard anything that would be any less than very accommodating to the local training and weekend flyers. But that's south, east and north sides of town. Don't spend much time on the west side.

All it takes is a call on the radio. You can tell if someone's new and loaded up. I/we either steer completely clear of that field, or stay well clear of these people. The average, competent Piper/Cessna pilot gets a polite and clear call on the radio if we're trying to make an approach to the field in formation or permission is requested to overtake or maneuver around them. And its never done in a manner to cause them any delay or imposition. Come to think of it, I've never seen an RV pilot cut off someone in the traffic pattern around Houston.

It was a comment on one of the Houston area groups. Of course it may not be all the time or everyone who thinks the same.

You're correct, it was a spelling mistake. Notice I was talking about the approach. I mistakenly typed "landing" when the first one should have been "approach". As you can see I used the word landing at the end of the sentence meaning the entire sequence of events. A stabilized approach works for A models and any models. I've corrected it in the original post, thanks.

In case it wasn't clear, my comment was regarding the landing example in the video you were referencing......

Tri-gear airplane.... flat / 3 point touch down :(

It's amazing how few unfriendly airports there are in this country. I'm usually made to feel like a VIP wherever I go. Most linemen dream of owning a plane like an RV and show real interest.

I did feel a bit unwanted flying into Phoenix class B, but survived with a little help from approach.

As for dealing with slow traffic, I was approaching Brunswick, GA a few months ago which has a Gulfstream repair station. A beautiful example was about 15 miles out and he suggested l should go ahead and land. He was flying the same pattern and I could see he was going to catch me on my downwind so I offered to make a wide 360 and let him pass. What a treat to watch that hot rod fly his pattern at 1000' at sundown. I felt like I was in a Wright Flyer, but sometimes low and slow is just fine. John

Last edited:
In case it wasn't clear, my comment was regarding the landing example in the video you were referencing......

Tri-gear airplane.... flat / 3 point touch down :(

We're talking about the same video. I was saying that the stabilized approach in that video applies to any airplane (not the landing itself).

... I was approaching Brunswick, GA a few months ago ...

Flashback !!! I flew a rental 172 a few times out of that airport when I was doing my federal law enforcement training at FLETC. Those were the good times until you actually have to go work for a corrupt agency...

Luckily I've only had a couple of "bad" airport/FBO experiences, and even "bad" is relative as no one was rude or anything just the service didn't live up to the fees or gas prices. There's also expectation management -- if I need to fly into a major airport (which I do on occasion) and have to use a marquee FBO, like Signature whose focus is the kerosene burning crowd, I don't expect the royal carpet treatment. Some people might not like that but its a fact of the life that there is stratification in the action community in case you've been living under a rock someplace. I personally don't sweat it, but I do try to opt for "known" GA, if not RV, friendly airports if I can. I find that reviews and/or posts on various aviation forums I frequent and on Airnav very helpful in selecting those spots.

We're talking about the same video. I was saying that the stabilized approach in that video applies to any airplane (not the landing itself).

Well...if we are to correlate the GPS speed with airspeed, the approach in that video ranged from 100KT in the beginning to 85KT before the round out. Is that "stable"? Not really. Do I think it's a bad approach? Not at all. Is it a good way to fly this airplane? Probably. Is there only one way to fly an approach in all airplanes? No way! I just get a little weary of this "stabilized approach" stuff being preached so often, as if most pilots need special training and reminders to fly smooth and not throttle jockey the airplane and chase the glide and airspeed all over the place. Most pilots fly OK. By the same token, most drivers who've passed drivers ed very quickly stop weaving around within their lane on the road as well. "Wow honey, look how stable that driver is!" ;):D

Well...if we are to correlate the GPS speed with airspeed, the approach in that video ranged from 100KT in the beginning to 85KT before the round out. Is that "stable"? Not really. Do I think it's a bad approach? Not at all. Is it a good way to fly this airplane? Probably. Is there only one way to fly an approach in all airplanes? No way! I just get a little weary of this "stabilized approach" stuff being preached so often, as if most pilots need special training and reminders to fly smooth and not throttle jockey the airplane and chase the glide and airspeed all over the place. Most pilots fly OK. By the same token, most drivers who've passed drivers ed very quickly stop weaving around within their lane on the road as well. "Wow honey, look how stable that driver is!" ;):D

I had to go back and see the video again to see what this 100kts to 85 kts was about. He was at 100kts on base and then turned to final. Once he was lined up with the runway on final he slowly reduced to 91-92 kts and nailed that speed until over the fence and numbers then slowly reduced to his landing speed, Still don't see anything wrong with what he did and since I don't know anything about your aviation background I can't tell what you've been flying, but this was a good stabilized approach. BTW stabilized approach doesn't always mean straight in either to a lot of pilots. Some consider a stabilized approach when we pull power to idle on downwind and still maintain a stable airspeed all the way down to the runway. In my new RV-8 I'm practicing that a lot now too so I can get to where I was in my other airplanes.

I've been doing this for 4 decades and still see pilots with too much back and forth on the throttle during the approach so there are more than enough pilots who need to be reminded not to be "throttle jockeys" as you called them. You might not see them or don't see anything wrong with it, fine, but you won't see those throttle jockeys flying in the airlines where they don't have to go around much and pretty much plant it where they want to every time.

Just my opinion.

To the OP, sorry for the temporary hijack, that's all from me on this topic deviation.

You guys are lucky over there in the States, we here in Oz could be so lucky to have the GA infrastructure you lot have, it's a pipe dream here! Out of the few dromes we have a lot are unfriendly believing pilots can afford it!
With a land mass similar to the USA we have virtually no airports that service GA throughout most of our continent! With outback fuel prices of around $12US Gallon and a safety authority **** bent on clearing our skies of nuisance light A/C GA is dying down under !.,

The only bad experience I ever had was at KMRH (Beaufort NC). Zero service other than a guy stroll out late to park us with high fuel prices for a small airport. Spent 150 dollars on their overpriced gas and they acted like pumping it was a waste of their time. My daughter was a bit late picking me up and I saw a trade a plane sitting behind the counter. Asked if I could check a ad for a aircraft I was interested in and the person behind the counter said I could only see it if I purchased it. Went to KOAJ after that which was a bigger airport and always got excellent service every time!

It is the old George Carlin routine.

Anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac.

Anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot.

We fly faster than most, so...

FWIW: I fly at St Augustine (KSGJ) which has the most diverse group of aircraft and pilots I have ever flown alongside, and I have been flying for 30+ years. Here the range of aircraft performance and pilot abilities are so incredibly wide you quickly learn how to cope with it.

In addition to the normal group of airplanes seen at most GA airports, locally based airplanes include a Grumman Albatross (yes we have a water runway and a seaplane ramp), 2 Taylorcraft, an Experimental Hawker Hurricane (WWII version), several WACO's, two Beech Staggerwings, three Glassairs, several Cirrus, multiple RV's, many LSA's, a few ultra-lights and even a private 737BBJ is here.

We have two VERY large flight schools that cater to foreign students. One school concentrates on students from the Middle East while the other from Northern Europe so accents make things even more interesting. We get students from Embry-Riddle, All ATP and Phoenix Air here all the time since they are based at nearby airports.

We have a company (TacAir) that maintains and operates F-5's, the Northrup Grumman E-2 overhaul facility, a helicopter and a bi-plane tour business. Patty Wagstaff's Aerobatic school is here so it is common to have an Extra, a Sukoi, a P-40, a P-51, a flight of T6's or someone else doing acrobatics or also in the pattern with you.

The Naval Air Station Jacksonville and the Florida ANG F-15 base are also close by so we get them in quite often. Moody AFB and Pensacola NAS are close enough we get their cross country students all the time. To make things more interesting, when The Players Championship (TPC) golf tournament happens we get so many large private jets they have to shut down RWY2 in for additional GA parking.

Tower controllers here (we are a Class "D" airport) sometimes get so overloaded they can't accept traffic for pattern work and you have to hold outside the airspace. I have been #8 for takeoff on more than one occasion while 5 or 6 airplanes are approaching to land. So IMHO if someone isn't flying their airplane as you want them to, suck it up and adjust to it or don't fly there. YMMV

:cool:

Last edited:
Tower controllers here (we are a Class "D" airport) sometimes get so overloaded they can't accept traffic for pattern work and you have to hold outside the airspace. I have been #8 for takeoff on more than one occasion while 5 or 6 airplanes are approaching to land. So IMHO if someone isn't flying their airplane as you want them to, suck it up and adjust to it or don't fly there. YMMV:cool:

Time to move away from that craziness and go to Texas ! If only you knew someone who owned an airport in the middle of the USA (close to 3 coasts) that you could live with your plane at your house with no traffic, awesome weather (no hurricanes), no humidity (no corrosion), four 45x45 hangars (use one while you build yours), ........:):):) www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Last edited:
After many hundreds of airports all over the country, I can't point out an RV-UNfriendly airport, but there is an RV-Ignorant breed. You know them when the nice line guy approaches you with a set of chocks that plainly, obviously, will not fit under the wheel fairings. You wind up helping them as much as they help you marshal your bird.

Disappointments are largely avoided by doing my homework regarding FBOs at airports I'm considering.

Drifts:

Ask the guy who should have requested flight following for downwind if you can turn inside him. No point flying away from a perfectly good airport.

Touch down where you intend/must touch down on speed no matter how much excitement is going on in the pattern. The luxury (sloppiness) of "somewhere" in the first third can bend aluminum on difficult strips.

New drift:

Broadcast your type; "experimental" is nearly useless.

John Siebold

Time to move away from that craziness and go to Texas ! If only you knew someone who owned an airport in the middle of the USA (close to 3 coasts) that you could live with your plane at your house with no traffic, awesome weather (no hurricanes), no humidity (no corrosion), four 45x45 hangars (use one while you build yours), ........:):):) www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Awwwww... but I enjoy the craziness here. It keeps me sharp as a pilot so I have a better chance of handling just about any situation.

:cool:

Last edited:

Respectfully, Texas is full. NO VACANCY!!!

Will not return

KJWN TUNE in Nashville was the only "will not return" FBO that I can remember. Never saw a line guy out on the line. Sat there with engine running a few minutes and finally picked a spot that looked like transient parking and tied down. Hefted bags 100 yards in the summer heat and then stood at the counter for probably five minutes before the lady even acknowledged us. Same thing on the way out.
Definitely a jet crowd.

Respectfully, Texas is full. NO VACANCY!!!

Texas isn't full, that's something a lunatic made up to keep those he thinks are undesirable from coming here.

I'm talking about the rest of Texas, millions of acres of beautiful open fresh air land. I understand your concern though, drove through Houston and couldn't even read the street signs, they weren't in English ! I thought I was in China or Japan or Vietnam.

Last edited:
Back