What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon compass cal

dspender

Well Known Member
I have two G3X touch screens and one Dynon D6 backup. The Garmin magnetometer cal procedure shows correct heading The Dynon heading is off about 30 degrees. How do I calibrate the Dynon D6 remote compass? I don't find it in the user's manual.

calibrating compass

So I calibrated my Dynon HDX ADAHRS last night on a Compass Rose.

Question: how accurate do you have to align on the compass rose? I was by myself and drove my RV-7A onto the compass rose aligning with the lines. I used the orthogonal lines to line-up with wing leading edges. At first I thought this was pretty accurate but it seemed like just a spec of brake would move the nose an inch or two which I'll bet is 2 or 3 degrees. So is this alignment really an okay way to calibrate the ADAHRS? I still have to calibrate my magnetometer. It already appears to point correctly. I'm wondering if I'm making it worse with a physical alignment calibration.

Is there a better way to align up with compass headings for calibration purposes? Or is there some magic happening inside the ADAHRS so it doesn't get worse, but better?

Back