What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help please - Dynon AP control head install

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Ok, I'll admit that I'm not the brightest light bulb in the package so, with that having been established, I'm hopeful that one or more of you can help me solve my Dynon control head problem.

We will be moving my RV-12 parts to a hanger for assembly and flight testing. My 12 is ELSA so that means that it must be built exactly the same as plans dictate - no modifications until after certification. After certification, I will be making a few changes one of which is to remove the Garmin radio and installing Dynon radio and intercom.

My 12 will have Dynon autopilot standard control head as well as the the Dynon advanced auto pilot control head. I purchased these two devices a year or so ago. I did not realize that these two AP control heads, the Dynon radio and the Dynon intercom will not fit into the center panel without modification to the structure of the back side of the center panel. This modification is not difficult but I would like to retain the original Van's structure if possible.

A different and possibly better solution to this problem is to mount the two Dynon auto pilot controls above the left side efis.
This would require me to purchase two horizontally orientated AP units from Dynon. I don't want to pay for two horizontally orientated AP units - I already own tow Vertically oriented AP units.

So I called Dynon asking if there was a way to modify or change the push button labeling on my two vertical orientation modules. Answer was NO. Ok, it is what it is.

Anybody know of a work around of this problem? Thanks, Ed

Dynon AP Controls

G,

There are two separate AP control heads:

One for the Knob Control Panel (Heading/Trac, Baro, Altitude)
One for Auto Pilot Control

Tim

Ah, I misunderstood that you were referring to the panel to remotely set the baro and bugs. Love that panel so far on my aircraft. Not so much in love with the Dynon radio but we are at least talking through the issues. May have to bring a counselor in to cement the relationship.
G

Last edited:
Back