What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you were building a 7 again

jask

Well Known Member
What VS and rudder would you use? I do not plan on any intentional spins nor will I likely enter any unintentional spins. I will do some aerobatics and imo, the possibility of exceeding speed would be much more likely than entering a spin.

What VS and rudder would you use? I do not plan on any intentional spins nor will I likely enter any unintentional spins. I will do some aerobatics and imo, the possibility of exceeding speed would be much more likely than entering a spin.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only one VS and rudder design for the 7? I do know that 7 VS/rudders were/are used on 6's.

Last edited:
I would not mess with major flight control changes without talking to the mother ship. If you ended up in an unintentional spin it might not end well.

I don't think vans really cares which one you use. The early kits were given the option of the larger rudder. Not mandated. You should consider that multiple failures of the vs/rudder on the 7 have occurred with the 9 rudder that of course were fatal.

I met a fellow who built a 6 (I think that's right) rudder and installed it on the 7. He seemed to like it as it had a less heavy feel on the pedals. However that being said, I do believe Vans designed the 7 rudder to be more safe to help with better spin recovery. So I personally recommend to stick with that. Safe flying benefits us all. That being said, He said it wasn't a big deal to change it out. Theoretically you could always build a second rudder and "Flight test" it.

As for the exceeding speed... Please read this accident report before you do anything. I always thought this report was a must read. http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2010/a10o0018/a10o0018.asp

Last edited:
stick with the kit unless you have a specific reason...

I have flown both extensively to the edges of the flight envelope... both work. I have posted previously on the differences. I prefer the -8 rudder but it is good to have some time with the -9 rudder first to gauge for yourself. Before paint, it only takes a day around 300 dollars to build an -8 rudder with attach hardware to swap out and fly. You also need a different VS cap. If I were to build another -7 it would be with a -8 rudder.

Last edited:
Actually, I wouldn't build a 7....

Move on and build a 14 :D

That is a good suggestion but too late, I already have purchased a project QB and working on the finishing kit. When I made the purchase, I had not found out that the VS/rudders had been lost in flight on multiple occasions.

Even better... Pick up an abandoned -6 kit and build that instead. ;)

I have thought about that also but the best deal is to sell my project and buy a good flying 6 for about $40 to $50K and update the avionics. IMO, that is a steal and I am actually considering that.

Last edited:
what would I build

If I ever built a RV (I?ve owned 3) I would never put anything less than a 180HP engine !

Back