What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with G3X bluetooth.

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I propsed to put the 45R transponder in the baggage area. G3Xperts warned the bluetooth would not work well. So mounting it to peek under the panel will still have control stick, pilot and seat in the way. So what are the priorities for locating and aiming . Is it the cell phone in my pocket, the Bose A20 handpiece on the side or other. FWIW, my phone works well with A20 in my -3 with my body between them. So advice will be appreciated the decide a next step.

I mounted my transponder (23ES) under the radio stack, but I am building a 10 and probably have a lot more room. I am curious what the use case is for bluetooth with a transponder. I would assume you would want a hard wire connection for altitude data from the G3X and can't see why you would want a connection to cell phone or ipad.

Larry

My GDL393D is fwd of my sub panel and it talks fine with my G3X touch screens and my phone and iPad via BT. The screens work fine with phone and iPad as well.

That being said, I would not expect the GDL to work that well if it was behind the baggage bulkhead.... likely the metal would block too much of the BT signal.

I imagine the xponder would suffer as well.

I mounted my transponder (23ES) under the radio stack, but I am building a 10 and probably have a lot more room. I am curious what the use case is for bluetooth with a transponder. I would assume you would want a hard wire connection for altitude data from the G3X and can't see why you would want a connection to cell phone or ipad.

Larry

In the GTX45R?s case, being able to BT traffic and weather data to an iPad or othe BT enabled display that supports it.

I mounted the 45R horizontally in the sub panel on the co-pilot side. It sits directly behind the G3X touch screen. The BT antenna points toward the cockpit, so good BT reception. It is also easy to remove. Easy accessibility is nice since you can get the free updates at Osh Kosh or SnF.

Togaflyer question

I do not have a blue tooth antenna.The front of the box has the ?dealer? interconnect plug and a Garmin sticker. Whats missing ?

OSH updates...Should I expect annual updates on this device ? Forgive me it is my first transponder😱

The BT antenna is embedded beneath the front plate of the unit. Under the Garmin sticker. The 45R install menu will gives you the details. Also consider the Comant 105 blade antenna. It handles both UAT and 1090 frequencies in one antenna, I installed it on the belly within the pilot seat pan, just forward of the spar. Occasionally Garmin will update the software. The are real good about providing the update during the air shows. They usually provide advance notice on transponder updates on the Van forum site. But you need to pull it out and take it to them.

Last edited:
So...

So, has anyone located the 45R in the back and how does it work for BT?

It would seem to me that if mounting it in the sub panel with the antenna point back works, it ought to work mounted aft. The BT broadcast is either through the instrument panel which is aluminum and electronic units, or the baggage compartment wall, which is aluminum. The difference then, is the distance...two feet versus 5.5 feet.

Considering strength of the average BT signal, I would suspect that it will work either way.

So, does anyone have experience with the aft mounted 45R BT? Asking again because that is where my 45R is going...

I guess I'm confused - why doesn't the GTX45R communicate directly with the G3X over the CAN bus or other direct wired connection?

When mounting a bluetooth device behind the panel, don't forget that the bottom of the panel is open. I believe this is true for all models except the -12. The opening generally allows for good bluetooth reception when the GTX is mounted behind the panel

On my RV-6a, I have a GDL 39 mounted aft of the baggage compartment and the baggage bulkhead blocks the bluetooth signal. The GDL and GTX bluetooth signal strength may not be identical, but I would not expect you to get good bluetooth reception with a device in the tailcone. I cannot pair my GDL to a phone or tablet reliably. It is hardwired to my display, so bluetooth was not a requirement for me.

The primary communication from the G3X to the GTX is multiple hard-wired RS-232 connections. This is how the GTX is controlled and how ADS-B Traffic and Weather are displayed on the G3X displays. The bluetooth is only used for displaying the traffic, weather, and attitude data on a compatible Garmin portable device or tablet.

Thanks,
Levi Self
Team X Project Manager

Last edited:
When mounting a bluetooth device behind the panel, don't forget that the bottom of the panel is open. I believe this is true for all models except the -12. The opening generally allows for good bluetooth reception when the GTX is mounted behind the panel

On my RV-6a, I have a GDL 39 mounted aft of the baggage compartment and the baggage bulkhead blocks the bluetooth signal. The GDL and GTX bluetooth signal strength may not be identical, but I would not expect you to get good bluetooth reception with a device in the tailcone. I cannot pair my GDL to a phone or tablet reliably. It is hardwired to my display, so bluetooth was not a requirement for me.

The primary communication from the G3X to the GTX is multiple hard-wired RS-232 connections. This is how the GTX is controlled and how ADS-B Traffic and Weather are displayed on the G3X displays. The bluetooth is only used for displaying the traffic, weather, and attitude data on a compatible Garmin portable device or tablet.

Thanks,
Levi Self
Team X Project Manager

Exactly what I thought. Thanks

I my case my PFD is hardwired to the GDL39 and my MFD is BT to the same. This gets me weather on both screens....I imagine this is possible as well with the 45R.

Wish list

So here is a wish list item. How about an option for an external BT antenna on the 45R so that it can actually be remotely mount without feature degradation...

I my case my PFD is hardwired to the GDL39 and my MFD is BT to the same. This gets me weather on both screens....I imagine this is possible as well with the 45R.

The 45R can hardwire to both screens and a GTN.

A follow-up question on this (probably for g3xpert) - I was looking through the latest (AM) edition of the G3X manual, and it specifically calls out that even between the GTX 45R and the G3X, some data is only transmitted via bluetooth:

"The GDU 4XX can additionally receive, process, and display the FIS-B features, Cloud Tops Forecast, Icing Forecast, Lightning, and Turbulence Forecast over Bluetooth. An RS-232 connection to a FIS-B weather receiver will not provide these features. " (page 2-11)

Does that mean that if one mounts the GTX 45R in the tailcone, they likely won't get those weather features at all on the G3X or on the GTN? That seems like a much bigger deal than not receiving them on a tablet.

Alternatively, is it at least possible to get those features on the GTN, by directly connecting the GTX45R to the GTN via HSDB? (the GTX45R's manual doesn't seem to specify anything related to this)

Last edited:
Back