What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS prop on E2D?

sblack

Well Known Member
I got an O320 E2d with my rv4 project. It is in pieces but the pricey bits are yellow tagged. I have been tring to figure out if I can use a CS prop with it. I see that the acc case needs to be machined. I also have read on the forum that the e2d has an o235 front bearing. I see in the parts catalogue that the front bearing is not the same as those engines that do come set up for CS use. Is a front bearing change required? Where could I learn more about what goes with what? If I can set it up for a prop gov, the rear case would habe to be accurately machined so the gears would mesh correctly. Would anyone know where to find the appropriate drawing?

There is just so much to learn....spending more time reading than building!

Constant Speed

If you can go constant speed I have parts available- accessory case, prop gov drive, oil line ect

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Not to discourage you, but there is a lot to be said for a lightweight 4 with a fixed pitch prop. The 320 is light to start with. There was a nice 2 blade MT for sale in the add section a few days back. Light and simple would be my choice if the E2D 320 was THE engine in my 4.

Not to discourage you, but there is a lot to be said for a lightweight 4 with a fixed pitch prop. The 320 is light to start with. There was a nice 2 blade MT for sale in the add section a few days back. Light and simple would be my choice if the E2D 320 was THE engine in my 4.

Can't add much to this but say that even with a fancy expensive GA prop on my RV-6 with 160hp O-320 I have been embarrassingly out-climbed by an O-320 equipped RV-4 with a properly pitched FP prop.

You will likely need a different crankshaft, as well. IIRC, the -E2D crank is solid, and therefore cannot be used with a CS prop.

I'm no expert, but I have the same engine in my RV-6A. Did a little digging around after I first bought it.

You might consider a Ground Adjustable prop. Both Whirlwind and Sensenich make one.

Dang you're right it is solid. Well, but guess that decision just got a bunch easier:eek:

Thanks

I've got the O-320 E2D with the Sensenich Ground Adjustable prop and it is proving to be a really nice combination.

MT offers electric props with the P-120U auto/manual controller which would work on that motor.

Back