What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-use Teflon Oil Hoses?

krw5927

Well Known Member
With a new Titan O-340 on the way for my 9A, I've been thinking about all the accessories and things that will attach to the engine when I make the swap from my 150HP O-320.

My oil lines to/from the oil cooler are teflon lined hoses from TS Flightlines. They've been in service for a little over 50 hours over the last 8 months or so. Some sources seem to say not to bend and flex teflon hoses once they've been in service because the liners take a "set" and bending can cause them to crack - especially the ones that can see elevated temps like oil lines. I don't intend to bend or straighten these hoses intentionally, however they are sure to get moved and flexed about during an engine swap and re-installation. Can I re-use these lines safely or should I order new?

Hoping some knowledgeable folks like Tom S. and others with gads of experience can chime in here. Thanks all!

Hey Kurt. Teflon has a virtual unlimited service life, as shown by alot of military and commercial aircraft out there. As far as your engine swap, as long as the accessories are in the same location and the dimensions and cofigurations work, you will be fine. HOWEVER---dont overbend the hose, because, yes, teflon will take a set and if you flex it ALOT, you can do some harm. With the firesleeve, it also helps to allow the hose to not overbend.
If you have any doubts---send them to me, and I'll test them!
Tom

They get reused on certified aircraft for thousands of hours, unless observed to be damaged. Never heard about the "set" issue, although the hose off the roll when new does have some set in it but it obviously is not a service issue.

Thanks all! Tom, I thought about contacting you directly but figured the forum would benefit from having this out there for the future.

Dan---what I meant say about the hose taking a set was it has gone through temperature cycles. So--after extended use, it will take its shape.
Tom

Back