What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with magnetos

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I have IO-540-C4B5. I pulled the two magnetos today. Engine not running yet.
Neither has impulse coupling.
Both are Bendix. On both written "Shower of sparks". Here are the numbers.
Left Mag: S6LN-204. Part #: 10-163050-9
Right mag: S6LN-200. Part #; 10-163010-10
Is this standard?
When you send these in for overhaul, does the coupling go with the mag?
Thanks.
Johan

You will need the buzz box (Shower of Sparks) to complete the system. About $450 from Spruce. The good news is that it starts much much easier and far faster than the impulse coupled mags. Especially when hot. Love it!
It hooks up to one of the mags. Left one as I recall.

You will need the buzz box (Shower of Sparks) to complete the system. About $450 from Spruce. The good news is that it starts much much easier and far faster than the impulse coupled mags. Especially when hot. Love it!
It hooks up to one of the mags. Left one as I recall.

Dan,
Thanks you. ACS shows 2 types, one with and one without a relay. Big price difference. My system is 12V and it seems the S200 magnetos. Both magnetos has a connector labelled "switch" and "retard". Do you only install the vibrator on one mag, the other mag functions as one without impulse coupling?
See if this is what you had in mind. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/bendixstrtvibratr.php
Thanks.
Johan

Thank you

Thanks for all the responses and pointing me in the right direction. I now have a good understanding of the system. I found a lot of info googling "Shower of sparks".
Much appreciated.
Johan

The engine I got for my RV-8 has Bendix 200 'Shower of Sparks' mags.
I took a chance and bought an old Starting Vibrator off a fleabay ad ($150). It was from a 1960s vintage Mooney. It's the old brown style, I found out later that it might not have replacement parts available. It bench tested fine. I read everything I could find about it, especially wiring diagrams etc. I set mine up with toggle switches to ground the mags. Shower Of Sparks is activated by the starter button. The retard points are connected in parallel to the main points via a 12V (black cube) automotive relay which is activated by the starter button.
Engine start is with left mag 'ON', right mag 'OFF'. It starts right up. I like it better than starting with an impulse coupled mag.
The Starting Vibrator is not weather proof, I mounted mine on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel.
In today's Hot Rod automotive world, Shower of Sparks is improved and called MSD: Multi Spark Discharge.

How could I have forgotten G3?
they have a great webpage with a tutorial on converting a mag harness to automotive plug leads.
I'm preparing to replace some old external braided mag leads with MSD spiral wire and MSD plug boots. Next stop; auto plugs.

I didn't get the one with the relay in it. Not necessary. Cost a little less than $400 as I remember.

Dan,
Thanks you. ACS shows 2 types, one with and one without a relay. Big price difference. My system is 12V and it seems the S200 magnetos. Both magnetos has a connector labelled "switch" and "retard". Do you only install the vibrator on one mag, the other mag functions as one without impulse coupling?
See if this is what you had in mind. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/bendixstrtvibratr.php
Thanks.
Johan

Just for reference, the stock IO-540 sold by Vans comes with Slick mags with no impulse coupling; the Slick version of the shower of sparks is called 'Slick start'.

Password

G3 website on automotive lead conversion is password protected? unless I am missing something...

Back