What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator info ?

N661DJ

Well Known Member
Van's catalog lists 2 gascolators, (Vans and Andair) the Andair is rated at 1000psi
no rating on the Vans. Question, is the Vans gascolator suitable for use on a FI engine 25 to 30 psi? I asked Vans, no help, theres did not have a rating?
The aircraft, equipped, with an YIO-390-EXP engine, presently has no gascolator, one is required if the aircraft is to be imported to Canada.
Dick

I would not put a gascolator on a fuel injected engine. Just asking for vapor-lock and it is not needed anyway.

Every engine in Canada has one, I never hear of problems due to a gascolator. Mine is mounted on the firewall low on the right side in the engine compartment. I have an iO-360 C1E6. the finger screen in your fuel servo is extremely fine, I want anything in the system stopped before it gets that far, and the gascolator does that job well.

Last edited:
Gary,
What gascolator are you using? I am concerned that the Vans unit might not be up to the higher pressure of the FI engine.

The Andair gascolator can serve as a prefilter for the electric fuel pump, thereby replacing a discrete fuel filter. Mounting it inside keeps it cooler.

I have been using a Van's gascolator on my IO360 for about 150 hrs with no problem.It's mounted low on the front of the firewall, and I have it shrouded to help keep it cool.
Idle is a bit lumpy when the engine is hot, but acceptable with the electric pump on.
I'd prefer not to have one but I live in Canada.

WTB Andair Gascolator

If anyone has a new Andair in a box I'd like to buy it.
Thanks
RHill

Back