Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 AM

Default Flying to Oshkosh? More required reading.

Well, the calendar just ticked over to July. That means two things- 1) Oshkosh is getting close and 2) it's time to dust off this old thread. So, grab a cup of coffee and start at post #1.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=8960

Anyone who is flying into the big show for the first time or the 20th should take the time to do some reading and bone up on not only the procedures, but also the philosophy of it all. Rick Durden's article (man, has it been 10 years already?) is an absolute must read on this subject.

Look forward to seeing many of you in a few weeks. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!!!
Milwaukee

Last edited by sprucemoose : 07-02-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Wow,

Thanks Jeff for the good articles. I'd say "Read the Notam!"
Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 AM

Default Thread bump

One final post on this thread to give it a timely bump back to the top. And, a few thoughts.

Over the last few weeks, there has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of safety. Between some recent accidents and the newly formed safety committee, it is safe to say that it has been the dominant discussion over the last weeks, and that is a good thing.

Oshkosh is coming up in a week. Since this thread is about safety (and I suggested to Doug that it might be better moved to the Safety forum) we should take a moment to think about safety in the context of Oshkosh. Oshkosh is the greatest, biggest and most high-profile aviation event on the planet. That means that it also becomes something of an echo chamber, and the effect of any accident or safety breach is amplified many times over. With our particular flavor of aviation under increased scrutiny, the last thing we need right now is a very public black eye in the next couple of weeks. While safety is always important, for the next two weeks it is even more so.

Go back and read the Rick Durden article from post #1. He is talking to you. He is practically yelling at some of you. Hundreds of RVers on this forum are going to fly into Oshkosh in the next couple of weeks. Without any doubt, there are a few of you who Rick is talking directly to, when he suggests that you do an honest self-assessment and decide to drive to the show instead. You owe it not only to yourself and your family, but to all of us who love this hobby, to take a sober look at yourself and your skills.

Does the idea of flying at 70 kts behind a Cub on the Fisk arrival make your blood run cold? Then he is talking to you. You should not be flying in to Oshkosh. Drive in. Enjoy the show. Take pictures. Come to the beer call. Go home full of enthusiasm, get some more dual and experience in your airplane until you are more comfortable, and fly in next year. The experience will be just as great, if not better, next year, when you are ready for it. The alternative is not something that you want to think about, or that the rest of us want to live with.

I look forward to seeing many of you in just a few days. Whether you fly in or drive, the beer is just as cold. Just make sure that you're there to enjoy it. I'd rather raise a beer with you, than raise it to you.

Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!
Milwaukee
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Great Job!!!

Great post Jeff. Extremely well stated. Sadly, I know of one RV owner that will be flying in that is definitely not prepared. He has very little time on his plane, hasn't flown it in 5 weeks and will not download the NOTAM. He says, "I'll read it on my iPad on the way there and have it on the screen when I get there."

This coupled with the other hundreds of pilots arriving that will be flying one of their 3 cross counties to Oshkosh and we have the makings for a problem.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Oshkosh

READ THE NOTAM!!!!!!!! NO EXCUSES........TAKE TIME TO READ THE NOTAM!!!!!! DO IT..........READ THE NOTAM!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
Great post Jeff. Extremely well stated. Sadly, I know of one RV owner that will be flying in that is definitely not prepared. He has very little time on his plane, hasn't flown it in 5 weeks and will not download the NOTAM. He says, "I'll read it on my iPad on the way there and have it on the screen when I get there."

This coupled with the other hundreds of pilots arriving that will be flying one of their 3 cross counties to Oshkosh and we have the makings for a problem.
"You can't fix stupid" sounds appropriate here.....
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Read the NOTAM!

Print the NOTAM!

Understand the NOTAM!

Print your signs (HBC, VFR, etc.)!

"Fly" the arrival procedure in Google Earth!

Make a list of frequencies you will use, in the order you will use them and have them available. (Program them in your radio, if you can, or train your passenger how to tune your radio, if you are taking someone.)

Program the way points in your GPS, if you can!

Don't talk on the radio, just listen and obey.

Fly Safe!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

With this heat, and flying slow, are you concerned with the rising oil temps? How do you deal with it?

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Also remember to not wear synthetic fabrics both for comfort reasons and safety in the unlikely event of a crash.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9av8tr View Post
"You can't fix stupid" sounds appropriate here.....
To expand on that, "stupid usually fixes itself."
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver