What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transfer drawings on plans to metal

jnjhirsch

I'm a new builder. Actually, I'm on the practice kit phase. I need to transfer outline drawings to metal. Multiple stiffeners need to cut from a piece of angle aluminum. The Van's drawings are not to scale and outline what needs to be removed. Is there a good way to transfer the lines on the drawing (not to scale) to the piece of aluminum that needs to be cut?

If the practice kit is like the real thing, there are small notches in the angles that indicate where to begin each cut. I would think the practice kit may be the same. I never had to transfer anything from plans to metal besides basic measurements that were made clear on the plans. Otherwise you may have to do some deducing based on where the stiffener is going...

Chris

I'm a new builder.

I would recommend you get some training in layout procedures and tools. It sounds like that is not one of your current skill sets.

Find your local EAA chapter and get a member to go over it with you (there is one at KDMW), or take a basic sheet metal class at your local tech school, or go to one of the RV building tech centers for their class.

I found in my standard build kit, there was much more layout required than Yellowjacket has alluded to. It is true that the elevator and rudder stiffeners have starter notches but there are plenty of brackets in the plane that need to be fabricated from scratch.

Nice avatar choice by the way. :)

Last edited:
Transfer

Layout on aluminum is done best with a very fine point Sharpie. Don't us a pencil. If you use a scribe be sure you are able to file/blend out the scratches. They will have a chance of propagating into cracks.
Now just transfer the drawing, line for line onto the aluminum sheet provided. If there is a radius to be drawn, try to find something to use as a pattern. Drafting templates are nice. If the part is going to need a bend, bends are best done across the grain of the sheet. Usually the data printed on a sheet of aluminum is along the grain.
Be sure to use the proper edge and hole distances. Those should be on the instructions that came with your kit. If not, google it. :)
This is just the surface. The EAA classes are good.
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-education-and-resources/eaa-sportair-workshops

I have used an ink jet printer to print onto full sheet sticky label paper, then stick the paper to the aluminum and cut along the lines. Quick and easy. You could prolly also scan and copy regular paper onto label paper.

DanR

Invest in a good machinist square, machinist rule, and a box of fine line Sharpies. These are all tools that are invaluable that you will need over and over during an RV build. I wouldn't spend time trying to scale drawings to transfer directly to a piece of aluminum. And I echo the others that suggest attending a build school. That'll be a weekend of time well spent. Plus, it's really kind of fun. ;)

Thanks for the replies!

I would love to attend a build class. It's finding the time, that's the rub. I will endeavor to persevere.

Machinist square and ruler are good ideas. I always like to buy new tools.

I did buy fine line black sharpies, but the ink still seems to bead up and not stick like I want it to. Are there different versions of the sharpie I need to be aware of?

My avatar is Beaker from the Muppet's. It was also my call sign when I was in the Navy. I see no resemblance, no matter what they say.

Ink from a fine-line sharpie will bead up or not stick when the metal is dirty. First give the metal a wipe with MEK or acetone or lacquer thinner or....

Back