VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Default Reason for loss of records.

The best you can do is reproduce what you can from others who have kept copies of inspections. As a tire-kicker myself, missing logs are common. I often wonder why? What could previous owners/sellers by hiding? You should include an entry in your new log as to why your records are missing. Down the road this could be helpful in future sales of the plane.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks!

What a great community

About the Phase One entry - the only time I was ever ramp checked, last fall at the airshow at KHSP, the FAA guy noted I had a passenger and said, "I assume you are out of phase one?"

I wanted to say, "You know, you got me there. But at 18 years and 950 flight hours, it is somewhat of a record for phase one, ain't it? Even if you haul me in, I can think about those braggin' rights in prison..."

But I wanted to keep it short and to the point, so I stifled myself and kept it professional.

To the point, we can re-enter phase one at any time for a number of reasons, so I will have to see to it that the entry is duly noted. Problem is I have no idea what day back in 1998 I finished phase one, as I have no surviving pilot logs to refer to.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Y'all are the best!

-Stormy
Old 05-27-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Pilot Logs

First, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as your pilot logs go, you can use the information you provided at your last 8710 for certificate action, or what you reported on your last medical as evidence of flight time up to that point. Here's a link to the FAA policy on lost pilot logbooks:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?...Vol.5,Ch1,Sec8

Although this will help you reconstruct your past experience that might be a few years old, it probably won't help you document your recent experience to establish currency for PIC, carrying passengers, night time, IFR, etc. If you can't have your CFI document your last flight review/IPC, you may consider just doing it again and recording it in a new logbook.
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019
Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your losses. I made paper copies of all my logbooks, aircraft and pilot and kept them in my safety deposit box for years. I have now moved them to a fireproof safe at my home along with other important documents and heirlooms.

Last edited by Larryskydives : 06-10-2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 AM

Default Fireproof safes

Much of what I lost was stored snugly in a fire-rated Liberty gun safe in my basement, bolted to an inside corner, in one of the last places reached by the fire. They are only typically rated to withstand a paltry 1200 degrees F for 20 minutes or so... and it takes a rural VFD that long to drive to the nearest hydrant to refill their pumpers

Off site backups are highly recommended. Snap cellphone pics and send them to the cloud.

The voice of experience,

Stormy