Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 05:37 PM

I have the same problem. While building my RV, everything was in the basement shop, including the aircraft. When I moved the airframe to the hangar 50 minutes away, I slowly ended up purchasing duplicate tools from a hardware store that was closer to the hangar vs a round trip back home. I didn't like it, but it was more cost effective than a round trip to the home shop.

Now, the RV is in a hangar only 35 minutes from the house, but I have a second aircraft in Maryland which is 5 hours away. Guess what??? I now have three sets of tools: home shop, local hangar, and now the hangar in MD.

I do not have an economical solution to the OPs question.
flying
Old 11-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Make friends with others at the airport that will allow you to borrow a tool now and again. Do not abuse this relationship and make sure you return the tool IMMEDIATELY after you are done using it.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 11-18-2019, 06:13 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

When we finished our bush plane, it was at an airpark 25 miles away, and we commuted several times a week to work on it by RV. I ended up stranding a number of duplicate tools down there, and for the unique stuff for which I only had one copy, I had a tool bag that went back and forth with me.

I generally had a work plan for the next session when I left the project, so that I knew what I had to bring along on the subsequent visit. This worked out about 95% of the time, and we almost never wasted a session because of not having the right tool. It’s all in the planning.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 PM

It will pass. Simply because you will do something about the problem. You need the right tools in the right place. For most folks it probably means buying some duplicates.

The tools I have in the hangar are much more maintenance related and are the smaller subset (still more than a double stacked rollaround) of the home set. The tools at home are more fabrication related and way wider range. Conversely, I have more aviation hardware and parts at the hangar vs less at home.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.

Last edited by rzbill : 11-18-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Make friends with others at the airport that will allow you to borrow a tool now and again. Do not abuse this relationship and make sure you return the tool IMMEDIATELY after you are done using it.
I keep trying to give my friend his engine stand back. He says that's ok, to just hang onto it. I think he likes the free storage and extra floor space in his jam packed hangar (1 of 3).
Old 11-19-2019, 12:19 AM

A little off topic but I found a real good way to store my commonly used hand tools and wrenches etc. The magnetic tool holders from Harbor freight work well. I put them up high, on a frame over my workbench so they are easy visible and reachable. An 8' length of those things hold a lot of tools. Amazing how much time aggregates in looking for specific tools in drawers or boxes and then putting them back. Now I just grab it, use it, then stick it back up. Maybe not the same place but just as easy to find next time. A duplicate but smaller setup is on my rolling cart toolbox at the hangar.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:35 AM

Just dealing with this myself now. When the empennage went to the hangar, it stopped being a storage space and became a workshop, so the additional setup began. Made a cheap workbench out of a flat solid-core door, added lighting, bought a cheap compressor and brought some cheap tools from the house. Once the fuselage and wings make it to the hangar, I'll bring the C-table with all the metalworking tools over and either invest in more tools or bring the rolling chest to the hangar. It will be awhile before I have to worry about that, but I am enjoying the beginning stages of hangar transformation.
RV-8 #83507 - currently working on finishing & firewall forward.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2020... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?