VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Default Archer Nav in RV-14A

So I am about to install the Archer Nav Antenna in the left wingtip of my RV-14A and want to get others opinion before final drilling and fiberglass. I have the piano hinge attachment for he wing tips and plan to rivet the antenna ground plane to the piano hinge for grounding. I will run the AeroLED Pulsar light wires along the front as depicted in the instructions. I also plan to place a dab of proseal on the outboard tip to prevent the metal from wearing through the fiberglass

My questions are:
Is the antenna in the best place for and aft? The instructions say as far forward as possible while remaining flat. I feel like any further forward will result in a more significant upward bend at the tip. Would that effect reception or should I move it even further aft?

Any concerns with using a couple fiberglass strips in the same location as the current pieces of blue painters tape? I figure it will be more secure this way.
Empennage & Wings Complete
Fuselage In Progress
Finish Kit On Order
Research Always
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Here is the placement in my right wing tip, seems close to where yours will be. I did bend slightly to fit contours of tip then fiberglassed into place and the lighting wires run along the front leg as directed. It works great there, very happy with the performance with VOR and localizer/glide slope reception.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/

Last edited by Nova RV : 08-02-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Thanks

That answers it, thanks.
Fuselage In Progress
Finish Kit On Order
Research Always
Old 08-02-2019, 04:59 PM

I make my own wingtip VOR/LOC/ILS antennas. As shown in the photo the antenna is mounted on a short piece of thin 3/4”x3/4” angle that is attached to the end rib with a couple of screws. The advantages:
- Wingtip just fits over the antenna so the antenna stays on the plane when the tip is off. The outboard edge of the antenna fits into the wingtip outboard seam and does not move.
- You will note the Archer antenna does not extend as far out into the wingtip as there is room. Making my own antenna I can change the dimensions to use all the space outboard of the last wing rib - so the critical part of the antenna (the part that extends out) is optimized.
- Note that I mount the antenna a little aft. This gains distance from the NAV/Strobe to minimize RFI. I would never run nav/strobe/landing light wires along the antenna itself.
- The antenna is made of aluminum out of the scrap box - so trivial cost.

Disadvantage: You need to have an antenna analyzer to tune it (but then I would also consider this a prudent step for the Archer antenna, as well as the comm antennas).

Photo is an RV-14A install. Note the antenna is several inches too long. Photo was taken before tuning. The black tape is just to keep it in about the right configuration, again for tuning.

Carl
Old 08-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
- Note that I mount the antenna a little aft. This gains distance from the NAV/Strobe to minimize RFI. I would never run nav/strobe/landing light wires along the antenna itself.
-
+1. Some LED lights (I don't know about yours in particular) are real noise emitters. I'd consider shielded wire for the LEDs, and run it thru the forward most part of the wing tip, back into the wing. As far from the antenna as you can get. Bob Archers' instructions apply if you have to run wires across or very close to the antenna. But if you can avoid it entirely, do so.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulde35d View Post
So I am about to install the Archer Nav Antenna in the left wingtip of my RV-14A and want to get others opinion before final drilling and fiberglass. I have the piano hinge attachment for he wing tips and plan to rivet the antenna ground plane to the piano hinge for grounding. I will run the AeroLED Pulsar light wires along the front as depicted in the instructions. I also plan to place a dab of proseal on the outboard tip to prevent the metal from wearing through the fiberglass

My questions are:
Is the antenna in the best place for and aft? The instructions say as far forward as possible while remaining flat. I feel like any further forward will result in a more significant upward bend at the tip. Would that effect reception or should I move it even further aft?

Any concerns with using a couple fiberglass strips in the same location as the current pieces of blue painters tape? I figure it will be more secure this way.
After speaking with Bob Archer a few years ago, I installed mine exactly as you are considering. Mr. Archer liked it very much because the system requires a good ground. He had only one input, “be sure to clean the anodizing off the hinge before riveting”. The anodizing is an insulator.

Marvin

SIDE NOTE: he spent almost 2 hours with me explaining the design and his history with space program antenna design. I am still in awe that he would just give away a lifetime of knowledge to an unknown person over the phone. We lost a good one when he passed.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 375+
2019 Dues Paid
The Dues Paid note is a reminder for me
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Anodizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by M McGraw View Post
After speaking with Bob Archer a few years ago, I installed mine exactly as you are considering. Mr. Archer liked it very much because the system requires a good ground. He had only one input, “be sure to clean the anodizing off the hinge before riveting”. The anodizing is an insulator.

So I failed to sand off the anodizing before riveting, but the rivets and steel piano wire itself seem to still provide a good ground for the system. Now I know for next time though
Fuselage In Progress
Finish Kit On Order
Research Always
Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 PM

As a reference point, here's what mine looks like: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018...ntenna-in.html

Works reasonably well.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Just another point of view

This is my input in regards to my installation of a Bob Archer VOR wingtip antenna. After all said and done, I added a separate wire from the short side of the antenna and connected it directly to the last outboard rib just to be sure I had a good ground.

Now, before anyone says anything negative about what I did, I am getting a great signal from multiple VOR stations each over 120 miles away at the time. I never headed away from any of them farther than that to see just how far I could receive a good signal.

For the ones who use this antenna, you have to admit that is a pretty good range for one of these antennas.

Brian
Old 08-03-2019, 05:50 AM

Default Solder sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
As a reference point, here's what mine looks like: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018...ntenna-in.html

Works reasonably well.
I read you blog about using the solder sleeve for the RG400 shielding which makes sense. Did you use the connectors that came with the kit and simply crimp the center wire in the RG400?
Fuselage In Progress
Finish Kit On Order
Research Always