What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: North Carolina

Ocracoke Island, NC

W95 Has to be on the top of the list. The approach to Ocracoke is paralell to the beach. There are no pilot services there and ground transportation is on your own. But a secret is to call Howard's Pub. They have an electric cart that seats 6. They will bring you to an island resturant/Pub lunch is great. From there it is a short walk to anywhere on the Island you may be staying. Bike's can be rented by the hour day or week. Max. rate is $12/day. The Island is where the Pirate Black Beard was killed and the History goes on from there. Wild horses inhabit the island at the north end. Accomodations range from $70-$140/nite Peak season. Watch for the restricted airspace to the south on arrival. We stayed at the Island Inn, which was great. Others have gone to the Crew's Inn and found it accomodating. The beach is close to town by bike. There is only 2 ways to get there. By air or sea. Highely Reccomended. Tad Sargent

Ashe Co. (GEV)

[ed this moved here by DR]

Ashe Co. (GEV) has Shatley Springs and Greenfields nearby. Lcl airport dude, Marvin Stump will take you to either. Great Fried chicken, veggies desserts for $7-9.00. Seasonal, open April thru November

NC Mountains

Now that we have a NC forum here, it gives me the opportunity to ask a question specific to that state. I have some property in the mountains in western NC. The nearest town (and grocery store) is in Marion.

I am building an RV8A which I intend to use as my chariot to the mountains. It takes too long to drive from Orlando. The problem is that in Marion, although they have a nice grass strip, there seem to be no hangars available, and no rental cars.

The next nearest airport is Avery County Airport, which is bordered by high terrain. It is in the town of Spruce Pine. I don't think they have rental cars available there either.

I am trying to figure out how to fly into the area and get to my property, which is on Linville Mountain. I suspect that some of you guys may have this same dilemma.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tony

Some local car dealerships rent. That's what we did while visiting nearby Jefferson Co. last fall. Worked fine.

Hanger

I live in Johnson City Tn. The closest hangers available I know about are in Greenville Tn. But this might be a bit of a drive for you.

KFQD?

Anyone ever try the restaurant at Rutherfordton, NC (KFQD)? Just wondering if it's worth a flight up that way for a meal...

Rutherford co

Good food at Rutherford county,open until 2 on thurs through sat. sign over door reads"seats 10,000 people 10 at a time".Gets busy on saturdays.

Marion Alternate

Try Morganton Lenoir, KMRN. It's a fairly short drive to Marion.

There is no car rental on-site, but call in advance and they'll have one delivered for you.

Restaurant at Rutherfordton

Anyone ever try the restaurant at Rutherfordton, NC (KFQD)? Just wondering if it's worth a flight up that way for a meal...

I've been there it was GREAT. I'm not sure if they are still open. I took my family to a warbird deal in Gatlinburg only to find that they were only serving warbird drivers - they did offer directions to a McDonald's a mile or so away. Hopped in the plane and over to Rutherfordton for a fantastic burger. The owner was standing out front playing the guitar for folks. I heard he was going to close and haven't had a chance to go back over - hope not.

Forgot about the Banana Pudding - worth a trip by itself.

Last edited:
Try Morganton Lenoir, KMRN. It's a fairly short drive to Marion.

There is no car rental on-site, but call in advance and they'll have one delivered for you.

I like the folks at MRN, that is where I usually land, occasionally Hickory good folks there also, just like the smaller port.

Butch's Barbeque is a regular stop for me in Morganton, great bread and Q sauce.

I've been there it was GREAT. I'm not sure if they are still open. I took my family to a warbird deal in Gatlinburg only to find that they were only serving warbird drivers - they did offer directions to a McDonald's a mile or so away. Hopped in the plane and over to Rutherfordton for a fantastic burger. The owner was standing out front playing the guitar for folks. I heard he was going to close and haven't had a chance to go back over - hope not.

Forgot about the Banana Pudding - worth a trip by itself.

57A Cafe is still there - I ate there on 1/3 (as I do nearly every time I go - which is often, since I am based at FQD). It's a long time since the original post in this thread, but FWIW FQD is a great airport, and they have hangar space and rental cars.

Dave

GOOD BBQ @ 5NC3

When you get a chance, head out to Gilliam - Mc Connell Airfield (5NC3) in Carthage, NC.

There is a very good BBQ restaurant right on the field. In addition to the BBQ, they have really good corn bread w/ jalape?o butter.

The field is private but you don't need permission to land.

Just jot down the lat/long as it isn't in most GPS's.
35-20-30.0000N / 079-26-13.0000W

Here's the airnav link.

PS. The SE RV gang is heading there this Saturday (January 10th), rain date is Sunday.

NC mtn airports

Tony, if you haven't solved your problem, the Wilkesboro airport can get rentals and is in a valley. Shiflet Fld in Marion is a great grass strip, but wet wx. can be a problem. There are no close strips. GEV, Ashe Co. has hangar access & rental cars @ car dealer. Boone has a decent strip if you can handle terrain..its in a valley, but you need to brush up on short fields & you are ok. I have place in Jefferson (GEV) & Am happy to discuss.:)

When you get a chance, head out to Gilliam - Mc Connell Airfield (5NC3) in Carthage, NC.

There is a very good BBQ restaurant right on the field. In addition to the BBQ, they have really good corn bread w/ jalape?o butter.

The field is private but you don't need permission to land.

Just jot down the lat/long as it isn't in most GPS's.
35-20-30.0000N / 079-26-13.0000W

Here's the airnav link.

PS. The SE RV gang is heading there this Saturday (January 10th), rain date is Sunday.

The food at this place is worth walking there to get it.

thanks

Thanks Bart, Flyguy and others for the info. My 8A won`t be ready for awhile so I have some time to figure it out.

I appreciate the responses.

Roanoke Rapids

Just returned from a week in Roanoke Rapids, N.C., way up on the N.C./Va. border. Had a great time fishing, boating, and visiting with Kids and grandkids, but the best part of the trip was the flying. About 8 hours round trip, MSY to RYY. There's a brand new airport there that is not on the sectional yet or on the GPS database. GPS took me to the old airport, that was in the process of closing. New airport is 5 or 6 Mi. east. Great folks run the airport. Let me put the RV-6A in a hangar for the week, and wouldn't take any money when I left, except for the fuel. Bob.

OIB NC, 60J

Hope you will visit the beach here at Ocean Isle, NC. New FBO, fuel is at $3.99 right now, and rental cars are available. Friendly folks and less than a mile from the beach, with great restaurants and plenty of sand to explore. limited hangar space for temporary stay is also available, and tie downs, of course. free shuttle is usually available, just give them a call.
60J is a great destination for a convenient day trip, or an extended stay

Regards,
Chris

Now that we have a NC forum here, it gives me the opportunity to ask a question specific to that state. I have some property in the mountains in western NC. The nearest town (and grocery store) is in Marion.

I am building an RV8A which I intend to use as my chariot to the mountains. It takes too long to drive from Orlando. The problem is that in Marion, although they have a nice grass strip, there seem to be no hangars available, and no rental cars.

The next nearest airport is Avery County Airport, which is bordered by high terrain. It is in the town of Spruce Pine. I don't think they have rental cars available there either.

I am trying to figure out how to fly into the area and get to my property, which is on Linville Mountain. I suspect that some of you guys may have this same dilemma.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tony

Hi Tony,
I flew into Franklin(1A5), last month. Rental car thru Airnav, Enterprise, 59.95. Yikes

Tried Andrews(KRHP) on Tuesday. Airnav said no Enterprise available but the FBO had cars from the local KIA dealer. Rented a SUV for 39.95.
Really nice group there and nice approach into the mountains.
3.80 for 100LL and waived nightly tiedown.
2 1/2 hours from Brooksville.

KFFA, KMQI and W95 Pireps?

We are planning a 3 day trip to the OBX after Memorial Day. Any advice on accomodations, restaurants, things to see and do would be much appreciated.

Maybe we'll see you there...

Memorial Day is a good time for that itinerary. Been to each of those places many times; they're about 1.6 RV hours away from us in the mountains:)

FFA has a one night only policy that is strictly enforced by the Park Service. It does not offer hospitality for extended stays at the OBX. Landing and returning does not reset the meter, either. It's one night per month. The Wright Memorial and museum are must-do local attractions. Beaches are not convenient by foot; you'll want a cab or bikes.

Manteo (MQI) is where you would want to tie down for an extended stay at KDH or Nags Head. Very nice airport and FBO, offers mogas and self-fueling. I recall that only one of its original three runways is open anymore. Lots of banner towing and GA operations out of there. Plenty of sea gulls, too. Be vigilant and stay on the radio. Bring gust locks; the wind never stops.

Okracoke is awesome. The runway is a short walk from the beach, which is never crowded. Bring bug repellent or the mosquitos will eat you alive in the privy when you relieve the P-factor after landing. Howard's Pub is one of the best eateries on the island, and the only one within comfortable walking distance of the airstrip. They offer golf cart pickup for patrons who phone or call them on Unicom, which they typically monitor. I've rented bikes from the island realty companies ahead of time and had them lock them to the fence for use when I arrive. Easy. A bike is all you need for exploring the populated end of the island. No fuel available and no services either. There is Verizon cell coverage.

Let us know how your trip goes. My new bride loves the Carolina beaches and we are looking forward to many day and one-night trips there this summer in the 6A.

-Bill

Last edited:
As for lodging...

I can personally recommend Captain's Landing and Crew's Inn on Ocracoke. Different ambience, both great in their own way.

Great place to visit!

We are planning a 3 day trip to the OBX after Memorial Day. Any advice on accomodations, restaurants, things to see and do would be much appreciated.

Along with what others said......Howards Pub is excellent. If you have time go and check out the small piece of England that is in Ocracoke. A ship from England was torpedoed by a German U-boat during WWII off the Carolina coast. The bodies of four english sailors washed up on the shore. They are buried on a small plot there and the land was deeded to England.....they actually send an honor guard there from time to time to perform a ceremony in honor of the sailors.

Watch out for the Dwarf Prickly Pear Cactus that are in the grassy areas of FFA....ouch!!:eek:

Just did FFA and Ocracoke. Great day trip and all the reviews are spot on. Howard's Pub is great. Just give them a call in the pattern on unicom and they'll send the golf cart for you.

NC Airport

Try 6A4 Johnson County TN. I live on Beech Mountain and fly out of their. Call the airport and Dave will get you a car and hangar space. Real friendly and a nice airport.

Back