What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JDAir Tailwheel

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Preliminary product report.

I've been flying a JDAir tailwheel about 50 hours now. So far, I'd call it the best I've ever used, hands down.

The key feature is the method of supporting the yoke; the shaft pivots on a ball bearing and a needle bearing. There is no perceptible friction when weaving down a taxiway with a full load in the back, something really noticeable in the departure conga line at OSH last week.

In addition, the breakaway force for full swivel is holding at a high level. I've not had it apart to see how that is done. It pops into swivel easily with brake application, but so far, it has never gone full swivel inadvertently, no matter what stupid pilot trick I've thrown at it.

Last, it is fairly short, so it puts a small torsional moment on the tailwheel spring. That is good for the structure, but it also makes it steer in a positive manner, as it doesn't twist the spring.

I'll be back with a long term report, but for now, I think it's worth every nickel.

Mine has been doing 0 knots on a shelf for years now and still no wear. Amazing product.

We didn't like the square profile on the tailwheel - tried it, went back to a round profile Vans tailwheel.

Not a JD tailwheel, but just saying. The hard angle on the square wheel made for lumpy handling via our tail lynx tail spring set up.

Also, the compound was soft on the lightweight wheel and you get a flat spot which creates even lumpier taxiing.

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan for the kind words. The bearing tailwheel system is without equal. It is so butter smooth. Coupled with our steering link and you've go very positive smooth control.

I got a call last week from a guy who bought the tail wheel system. He said he didn't think he would be able to feel the difference. He reported that he could feel how smooth it was on the first taxi.

Thanks again Dan!!!

Dan any chance for a long term report?

How has the jdair tailwheel held up? How much heavier is this compared to Vans standard fork?

Has anyone else had their JD Air steering link come apart? Had the front link pull out of the black housing today. The rod may have broke.

Send it in

Has anyone else had their JD Air steering link come apart? Had the front link pull out of the black housing today. The rod may have broke.

Hi John,

Send it back in. We'll replace it. There have been a few failures. It was traced to the metal supplier providing the wrong material. Caught it early but there some that got out.

Thank you Darwin.
I?ll send it out tomorrow. Overall my JDAir tailwheel has been fantastic! I have been pleased with the quality and handling (2500 hours TD so I have flown many others). If you remember my order, it was the special ?BTR? model about two years ago.

John

Interchangable links?

Does anyone know if the RV Rocket Steering Link from FlyBoy Accessories is a direct replacement for the JDAir steering link? Talking about just the link and rod end bearings.

Second the compliments. I've used most of the others in the 17 year, 1935 hr life of my -8, and the JDAir is the best by far.

JDAir tailwheel

I would like to endorse the positive comments concerning the JDAir tailwheel.
In the last 17 years I tried Van's tailwheel, the Spruce and Speciality homebuilder's special tailwheel, and JDAir's tailwheel and there is no comparison. When maneuvering the Doll by hand into place in the hanger the tail moves like it's floating. The ball and roller bearings in the JdAir reduces nearly all the friction and resistance.

When taxing, the Doll responds to the slightest rudder command, which is totally delightful when compared to the previous tailwheels.

Back