What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod End Bearing Substitutions?

Well Known Member
I came across this during the wing build, but I am again scratching my head during the fuselage kit inventory. There are a number of rod end bearings listed in the inventory that appear to have been substituted in the kit with equivalent part numbers.

However, I can't for the life of me find a mapping of old part numbers to new part numbers. Has anyone done this before? I have searched here and used Google, but can't seem to find an easy reference (or any reference) for these subs.

For instance, Bag 1383-1 is supposed to have:

1 BEARING GMM-4M-675
6 BEARING M3414M
1 BEARING MD3614M
2 BEARING MD3616M

But what I got (parts are labeled) is:

6 AURORA USA GMM-3M-470
2 AURORA USA GMM-3M-680
1 AURORA USA GMM-3M-670
1 AURORA USA GMM-4M-675

Anyone have a part number map for these things? I know that some screws and nuts and washers have mappings too but I can't find these for rod end bearings.

If you haven?t already seen - not exactly what you?re looking for - but page 5-32 of the construction manual has part numbers with scale drawings of each different rod end. You?ll be able to figure it out from that.

Richard

Thanks!

I had seen that, but was hoping there would be an easier table to go from. I remember getting confused about this in the wing kit inventory but it's not really a big deal I guess. What got me with the wings is that they actually had shipped me wrong rod ends and it really messed me up until I figured that out.

Hi Dave,

Take a look at the Aurora PDF link below. It provides conversions between the part numbers and explains what the part numbers mean. The only thing is that Van's omitted the dashes in the parts numbers, so you'll need to account for this when you search part numbers, but you'll get the hang of it. For example your six M3414M bearing (M34-14M) may be found on page 16 in the first line of the first table.
Good luck.
Tom.

http://www.aurorabearing.com/pdf/AF15_Catalog.pdf

Back