What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about starting the wings

nacoblio

Quick question for the group. I am ready to start my wing kit but due to work and life it has been a while since I have done serious work on the kit(like Jan:( ). I would like to start with something that is familiar and was wondering if I can start by building the ailerons and flaps. I understand that they will sit completed until the wings are ready to mount them but in my mind it would be good to practice some of the building techniques on parts that are similar to ones that I have already completed. Does anyone see a problem with this? I have been reading ahead and I cant see a problem with this but wanted to make sure there isnt something that I am missing. Thanks for the help.

I decided to do the same thing...flaps and ailerons before the wings.

I called Van's and Gus said that's a great idea. Gus said many people do it for the same reasons you stated.

I'm now in the middle of the wings and am so happy the flaps and ailerons are already completed.

Yup

Build away!

Outcome of flaps and aileron not relevant to wings. Plus you mess it up its an easy fix.

I decided to do the same thing...flaps and ailerons before the wings.

I called Van's and Gus said that's a great idea. Gus said many people do it for the same reasons you stated.

I'm now in the middle of the wings and am so happy the flaps and ailerons are already completed.

X2. Getting towards the end of the wings and I'm glad the surfaces are done as the fuse kit is waiting to be started.
Also, they are relatively easy to store(hide) and are nice little self contained jobs in themselves.

Back