What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREPs please - G3X Touch in turbulence?

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
All,

I'm narrowing down the choices for an EFIS display for my -7. For those of you with the G3X Touch, would you share your experiences using the larger touch screen in turbulence? Any tips or tricks? Any problems?

Thanks,

Dave

No issues generally.
That said, I make a point of not doing any screen touching during instrument approaches- and I have a GMC305 for the A/P.
In anything more than moderate turb you may get the odd mistake but certainly no worse than trying to program a 430.
I've got about 75h in 6months on it so far after a big panel refresh last year.
Very happy with it.

It is no big deal made real by the great design of the user interface and hardware.

Touch is the way of the future and appears to be here to stay....

As for tips: Use the finger anchors that have been built into the design of the G3X Touch and the GTN series and you will be fine. Use the knobs and the GMC 305 for critical functions.

I agree with Richard. When I get any turbulence I just stabilize my hand on the bezel and touch with my thumb. I would recommend a physical comm radio though instead of the remote Comm (GTR-20) for that exact reason. The remote comm is a great comm but its a little harder to operate on the touch screen than one with knobs in turbulence.

As the G3X Touch users in this thread have noted, we put a lot of thought and engineering work into our user interface design. After all, we are pilots and homebuilders too, so we understand the concerns and have created solutions to match. As Brian alluded to, we put most of the important touch controls near the edge of the screen, which allows you to brace your hand on the bezel before touching the display. And of course, the G3X Touch displays also feature a brace of physical knobs and buttons that allow control of important functions. When used in conjunction with the GMC 305 autopilot mode controller, we've found that it's rare to need to touch the display for most routine cockpit tasks, unless of course you want to.

On a related note, G3X Touch users who upgrade to software version 3.70 will notice that we have added even more ways to interact with the system by using the physical controls as an alternative to the touchscreen. You can now press and hold the BACK button to toggle the display between full-screen and split-screen modes, and you can now also use the main menu to access the com radio, intercom, and transponder controls - all without using the touchscreen or removing your hand from the physical controls. Of course, the touchscreen is still available for those times when the pilot prefers that method of data entry. As always, this update is available for free download from our website.

- Matt

It's great in bumpy air

I feel another software release coming soon, before he Oshkosh one

Fingers crossed

Just to add my experience bouncing aroudn in the western mountains - I have honestly had as much trouble holding on to (and using) knobs on tradtitional systems as I have on the Touch screens I've been using. Good design solves most of the problems that you'd thnk you'd have.

Paul

Bazel hold.

We are installing a full G3X system and have not flown it as of yet, but we did look at this question and left the radios and audio panel a little hi or long from the panel face. I like being able to put your fingers on the bazel and use it to brace while using the units in the panel. The GUD-460 has a good frame around it and that bazel seams to work well for that holding or bracing. The 305 auto-pilot also stands up a little from the panel and works to brace your hand, so we did the same for the stack-up. It will be interesting to see how it works, but it has to be better than bouncing around in a spam-cam. Yours. R.E.A. III 380888

Turbulence

I've got a significant amount of time on the G3X and G3X Touch (almost 400 hours combined). I find the G3X touch screen very easy to use, especially in turbulence. As others have said, the display is very well designed to be able to brace fingers on the bezel. The other major advantage is the size of the soft keys. The target you're aiming for on a soft key is typically 4-5 times the surface area of a mechanical button, which makes it much easier to hit in turbulence.

Back