What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-11

pilotian

Well Known Member
Real quick, but me personally don't find anything appetizing about the RV-11 concept.....

sorry if this has been posted already but whats everyones input? :confused:

You probably haven't yet had the chance to experience a wide variety of aviation Ian - when you get the opportunity, give soaring a chance! You might be surprised how fun, interesting, and challenging it can be.

The RV-11 idea takes that a step further by making the sailplane a motorglider - now you don't need to arrange for a tow to get aloft - relaxing flying whenever you want, much of it on ZERO gallons per hour.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Paul

Last edited:
Most fun I've had with my clothes on!

Ian, soaring is incredible and waaay more fun than flying powered airplanes. I soloed a 232 Schweitzer a long time ago and often came back for more. The challenge of finding lift to stay airborne is something throttle-pushers don't think about...it's sooo easy.

The problem with gliding/soaring is that it's labor intensive...a tow pilot, a wing walker until the ailerons are effective and you. You can't go soaring alone, until someone invented a self-launching sailplane...which Van is working on. He's also a competitive glider pilot, participating in many contests, so that should tell you something.

As Paul said, "Try it before you knock it."...:)

Best,

I suspect it will not be offered for sale

Unless this is an educational exercise I would not spend a lot of deep thought on this one. I have followed the progress with interest from when Van first told about it in the old RVator (sigh). It has market potential and I believe it would sell to some experienced RV builder's but I expect this to go the way of the RV-1,-2, and -5.

Bob Axsom

Its a very interesting concept and idea, and more power to the people who wanna give it a shot. Im not trying to knock it, just gave my opinion take it or leave it and I was wondering your guy's!

Thank yah for the input!

Motorglider

Surely Van and the team has considered high aspect ratio wings to plug into the RV12. It is nderstood that it would NOT be a great glider. It would be a fun plane to take advantage of coring lift.

Surely Van and the team has considered high aspect ratio wings to plug into the RV12. It is nderstood that it would NOT be a great glider. It would be a fun plane to take advantage of coring lift.

Now that is a great idea. A dual set of wings! Add a full feathering prop (not an issue at all, Woodcomp makes them now for the 912) and you have a self launch motor glider. :D

If I remember right I was able to get a 13 -1 glide ratio in the -12 (sop meter) in it's current config. With a feathering prop and 40' wings... who knows? 25 to 1? Might need to add a speed brake.

Last edited:
RV11 I would build one

If Vans ever offers a box full of parts and a set of plans, I would build one. :)

I would think it would be a possibility. The RV-12 is, in many respects, an aluminum Europa with a turbulent airfoil. The Europa has a set of plug and play motor-glider wings; so it would be a good one to look at to get an idea of how successful the endeavor would be.

Now that's a good idea!

Yep...a plug-'n-play set of aftermarket carbon wings! The -12 would be an ideal candidate because of the similarity of wing removal to many gliders..overlapping spars with pins...great idea! A 45' wingspan -12 with a 30:1 glide ratio, or better.

Best,

That is a great idea. I've always liked the Sonex - Xenos motorglider, but have been concerned about cockpit size for 2 place. A long wing RV-12 would be great. But why not metal wings? It IS an RV - I don't see it with glass wings.:rolleyes:

Back