What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AUDIO TERRAIN WARNING - Garmin

HawkinSF

Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying audible terrain warning: TERRAIN - PULL UP, PULL UP! Drives me crazy. Not under the SOUND menu. Help!

Is it your home field?

This worked for our Airpark.

1. Hire a surveyor to determine the exact end points of your runway to 6 or 7 decimal points in degrees.

2. Find your local FAA Airports Dept.

3. Find a friendly worker there to take your stamped survey document and use it to update your Airport Master Record in the IQ5010 data base.

4. Wait one or two 28 day data cycles and it will magically appear in the latest Garmin data base update and Bitchin' Betty will be quite when you land.

I did the above for our Airpark and many Garmin users thanked me since it made their landings quieter. :)

I don't have a Garmin navigator, but the update provided me with a nice view of the runway on the Dynon Skyview Synthetic vision as I went down the taxiway.

Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying audible terrain warning: TERRAIN - PULL UP, PULL UP! Drives me crazy. Not under the SOUND menu. Help!

On the G3X Systems, it is under the ?Terain? menu - turn off ?Alerts?. You have to do it for each flight (unless there is a global setting I don?t know about in setup....which is always possible - I fly a lot fo different systems).

I get why you guys wanna do this. Been a couple of airlines that didn't listen to it and wished they had. Flying Tigers in Malaysia comes to mine.

I get why you guys wanna do this. Been a couple of airlines that didn't listen to it and wished they had. Flying Tigers in Malaysia comes to mine.

I don?t recommend a blanket silencing of terrain warnings - but there are times when it makes sense. Our airport, for instance, is surrounded by rising terrain in three directions - so if you leave it enabled on a nivce VFR day, you will get the audible alerts at all points in the traffic pattern - distracting as well as annoying.

And....if you make a habit of ignoring the warnings, eventually, you?l ignore them when you shouldn?t.

Anytime the weather is other than VFR in the mountains, the alerts can be a life saver (literally), and we leave them enabled.

As an alternative, I wired my audible alerts into a switchable input (Aux 2) on my audio panel (Garmin GMA 245) rather than to an unswitched input as suggested by Garmin. If I get in a situation where the audible warnings are counterproductive, I just turn off Aux 2 and all alerts are silenced. Of course, you have to be careful to turn it back on. I was particularly glad flying into Johnson Creek, ID last summer 1/2 mile behind a lead plane - Bitchin' Betty was having hysteria between "traffic, traffic" and "terrain, terrain" to go along with the mostly red synthetic vision display from the mountains 150' off the wingtip.

I did the test flying on an RV12 some years ago - D180 and Garmin 496 install.

Expanded the envelope as they say and was increasing speed, in the vicinity of, but not that close to terrain.

Terrain warning went off and I nearly carped myself as I wasn't aware/informed that it was wired up !

Then explored the other warnings and was most impressed. Would never switch it off.

Hello,

Those of you commenting about the terrain alerts being too sensitive might want to read the Terrain Settings section of the manual for your Garmin product.

There are user adjustable settings (on both portables and G3X systems) that may make a big difference in whether or not you receive "nuisance" alerts.

Look Ahead Time?Determines the maximum time when an alert annunciation occurs. For example, if 120 seconds is selected, the G3X Touch provides an alert up to 120 seconds before you reach the terrain or obstacle.

Alert Sensitivity?The three Alert Sensitivity settings (Terrain, Obstacle, and Descent Rate) determine what level of alerts are annunciated. The G3X Touch defaults to ?High? sensitivity, which annunciates all red and yellow alerts at the time set in Look Ahead Time. ?Medium? sensitivity annunciates all of the red and the highest priority of yellow alerts. ?Low? only annunciates red alerts. ?Off?disables the alert.​

For example, you might find that reducing the Look Ahead Time from the default of 120 seconds to 60 seconds works better to reduce alerts from distant terrain.

Reducing the terrain or descent rate Alert Sensitivity to only alert on higher priority alerts can also be effective, but of course there are trade-offs.

If you are flying along on a dark night you might prefer the 2 minute look ahead with highest alert sensitivity.

Personally, I would never reduce the sensitivity on obstacles because for the majority of flying I do (daytime), I feel that towers present one of the greatest hazards. If there is one database I always want up to date (besides navigation/frequencies), it is obstacles.

There are some of us who feel that the most significant factor for the reduction in CFIT accidents is the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of portable GPS units with this feature being used in aircraft of all types, most of which are not otherwise fitted with terrain warning equipment.

Thanks,
Steve

this may be an option which i use on my trutrak auto pilot. i have the audio level turned down so i can barely hear it. ;)
IMG_1639.jpg

Having a terrain warning go off when you're on the backside of a loop is kind of redundant, IMO. The large round thing in front of you (or flat thing, if your beliefs go that way) is enough to know you need to continue the loop...

Flying around here you spend a lot of time near mountains, or flying towards them. I've just become used to hearing it and tapping the screen to silence it each time it comes up. It would be great if there was a "silence for 5 minutes" option.

Back