What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360-A1D on an RV-7?

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hi everyone.
Can a IO-360 A1D, previously installed on a Christian Eagle, be installed on a RV-7?
My engine mount is dynafocal 1.
I'm asking because despite my internet search I can not find the answer to what the "A1D" means with regards to engine specifications.
I know it's a fuel injected, had a constant speed prop installed on the previous aircraft, but that's about it...
Will the A1D fit under the cowl of a RV-7?
Thanks for your help.
Alain.

A1d

Alain,
The A1D is a forward facing sump engine with angle valve cylinders. It is set up for aerobatic oiling also and pumps out 200hp. The crank flange is a little bit thicker and typically hasn't been lightened. The crank and rods are heavy duty but do not have the balancing fly weights which make it a litle bit lighter than other 200hp angle valve motors. The angle valve cylinders make the motor a tight fit for the cowling in its present setup.

What you can do if it's economical for you, is have the angle valve cylinders and Pistons replaced with with parallel valve cyl and Pistons. Any shop specialized with lycoming motors can do this with no problem if you can't. If you do, you now have a M1B engine. If the intake tubes don't fit, then Vetterman exhaust can make them for you for 75.00 each.

Good luck with your engine search!
Cj

Back