What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which starter to use?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I've got an IO360 with Superior forward facing cold-air sump and Bendix injection, and currently have the Magna-Flite starter on the engine. This starter does not have enough torque to reliably swing past the compression stroke with my lightweight WW200RV prop, which is a known problem for this model starter.

My question for the guys that have been there and done that - will the Skytec or B&C starter (or others) fit this configuration? I am in the process of fitting my lower cowl now, so if I need to carve on some fiberglass for clearance this is the time to find out.

The Best

SKY-TEC
149-NL
149-NLR
122-NL ....Best starter on the planet! This cranks our 540 / carbon prop / 12.5 - 1 compression motor with ease.....:D

Last edited:
I've got an IO360 with Superior forward facing cold-air sump and Bendix injection, and currently have the Magna-Flite starter on the engine. This starter does not have enough torque to reliably swing past the compression stroke with my lightweight WW200RV prop, which is a known problem for this model starter.

My question for the guys that have been there and done that - will the Skytec or B&C starter (or others) fit this configuration? I am in the process of fitting my lower cowl now, so if I need to carve on some fiberglass for clearance this is the time to find out.

Sky-Tec has three or four models that will fit your engine. One of them is a high torque model that might be just the ticket.
http://www.skytecair.com/Lycoming.htm

So the Sky-Tec permanent magnet starter is better than the Magna-Flite permanent magnet starter? I was under the impression that the problem lie in the permanent magnet versus wound field design.

Edit - nevermind - I was looking at the XLT instead of the referenced NL, I see it now....

Last edited:
Starter

Greg,

When I first got my airplane I had some slow starting issues on my IO-360 with a C/S prop and found the Skytech lightweight starter totally inadequate. I had to send it back twice for a rebuild after it ate itself. I ended up getting the more powerful 149NL high torque starter and never had a problem since.

Oly

149NL is what I put on. It cranks good and strong. I amputated one mounting lug on the starter, otherwise, it fit great! Getting that checkbook out is the sad part!

I'll order a 149NL in the morning, thanks for the input.

Anybody need a slightly pre-loved Magna-Flite? :rolleyes:

Back