What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wire anchoring

Surfdoc

What are some of the wire anchors and or methods have you all have used to anchor the wire throughout the wings and fuselage. More specifically using tie wraps for easy maintenance later on. Tried removing adhesive from .75" tie wrap anchors and melted the plastic with GooGone. Any pointers for a newbie with no tech support? Thanks ahead of time.

I used some of the ones with the foam sticky backs for small diameter runs. Placed a bead of click bond epoxy around the edges to make them permanent. Click bond makes some nice wire mounts but are pricey. Behind panel used adel clamps and nutplates. I was able to tie almost all bundles with the waxed lacing. Very few, if any zip ties left after final install.

Used a ton of harbor freight zip ties during install. After all wiring ran, cut them off and replaced with lacing.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/cable_lace/cable_lace.html

Silicone tape is also awesome to use where there may be friction with another surface. A single wrap around the wires with lacing over the top. The silicone can be removed anytime with NO residue. Available in rolls on Amazon. The harbor freight stuff doesn’t work well (Surprise!!).

Last edited:
Where possible, I used holes in things with Van's plastic bushings. In a few places, I used Adel clamps.

7PpoET4.jpg

I hate zip-ties and avoid their use where ever possible, even using this stuff to bundle wires.

Dave

Last edited:
Waxed lacing

Same here. Snap bushings, Self fusing tape, waxed lacing string or combinations.
Look up lashing techniques for waxed lacing string. If you tie the knot correctly, you can actually cut the wire before the lacing string fails. Amazing stuff and it won't get brittle from heat.

I had good look with the square base stick on wire tie mounts as long as I did the following:

- Remove existing foam/adhesive pad (peel off)
- Rub base of anchor on coarse sandpaper to remove any adhesive/foam residue and rough up surface
- Rough up bonding site on aluminum with Scotchbrite pad
- Clean bonding site and anchor base with acetone (may slightly melt plastic)
- Adhere anchor to aluminum with proseal, silicone may also work

I'd recommend black nylon anchors for UV resistance and longevity.

Back