What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Counterbalance nuts n screws

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
counterbalance.jpg

Aloha All

Page 22-05 Step 2, 3rd Par has us attaching the counterbalance with AN426C632R8 Screws and AN365-632A lock nuts with the plastic lock washer built in.

My Question is that once these are in and the aileron is built if they come loose there is no way to reinstall or tighten them. So would it make sense to put some red locktite on this bad boy also just for a bit of added peace of mind? Or another way of asking is. Do any of you see a reason I shouldn't?

Thanks

Last edited:
Same bolt but now I'm stuck on Torque values. I can not find a torque value for the AN365-632A nut. The lowest the AN bolt sizes go is AN 3 but these screws are #4 screws (Not an AN size, screw size) They appear to be the next step smaller.

Also could not find anything on line for this It's probably out there but Not making it easy on me.

Thanks in advance

My advice.....Don?t over think it. Use the analog computer and load sensing equipment you were born with and have used successfully to install thousands of other nuts, bolts and screws long before you started building an airplane. Tighten until it feels about right.

As mentioned, there is no rotational movement at these and when properly torqued, extreme low chance of coming loose.
While you are at this stage, you might want to install a set of nut plates next to it and have your elevator prepped and read just in case you need to add more weight for elevator balance.

Back