What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming CSed holes on spar

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Hey was wondering what everyone did when priming the countersunk holes on the spar after the nutplates were attached. Do I need to worry about getting primer in the threads of the nutplate and if so what was your best method for stopping that.

Thanks,

Jim

I'd imagine a -7 is the same as a -14 in this regard... I just masked off the machined caps and sprayed the whole flange with primer. If a bit gets into the threads, the screws will clean them out the first time they're put in. Don't worry about it.

Q-Tip dipped in primer. You don't prime the threads of the nutplate though. Just the counter sink. Actually I think your supposed to do the rivet holes for the nut plates too, before they're riveted.... Pry do more harm than good to redo that now though

I masked the edge and sprayed it. Very quick this way and it looks perfect when you are done. I started the qtip process and decided it was for the birds.

Prime

Q-Tip dipped in primer. You don't prime the threads of the nutplate though. Just the counter sink. Actually I think your supposed to do the rivet holes for the nut plates too, before they're riveted.... Pry do more harm than good to redo that now though

+1
One of those fun tasks I ask helpers to do when they come over! It keeps them busy when I'm working on a solo task.
I also prime platenuts!

lol, I hadn't though about doing the nutplate rivet wholes :) oh well.

lol, I hadn't though about doing the nutplate rivet wholes :) oh well.

Yeah, I missed those too. But I got all the skin rivet holes after countersinking them (actually, at the same time I did the screw hole countersinks), and the primer just overcoated the nutplate rivets.

The instructions have you put the nutplates in before priming. I assumed this was because the primer would be shot over the top of the nutplate rivets as well. Sounds like I will just spray the whole flange.

Thanks guys

Back