VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-04-2018, 11:04 PM

Default When Worlds Collide

As I began venturing out of the exhibit, I took one final look at a few friends from the world beyond, some giving me a wink and a nod, others, a simple bow or curtsy. Smiles abounded all around, even from the most fearsome of visages.

Back outside, there were many from my world enjoying the life of California on the surface of a glassy bay. The skies beckoned me homeward. I yearned again to be airborne.

It was downright sweltering hot on the streets. People were crowding and honking and pressing in from every corner. I stood at the bus stop and waited patiently for the trolley to arrive.

On the way back to Marina, a man who got off the bus thanked the driver as he left. Then the bus drove about a quarter mile to the Marina Transit Exchange where we waited for about five minutes. A woman in the back of the bus brought up a wallet filled with cash and credit cards. She said the man who had just gotten off had left it. A few minutes later, the man came running up and asked for his wallet. The driver handed it back to him. The man broke down in tears and told the woman in the back how thankful he was for her. “I love you!” he cried, and he quickly turned to hide his tears of joy while he walked away.

“That there’s a blessing,” said a guy wearing a referee uniform. “That there’s a blessing, that’s what that is,” he said definitively.

All of us sitting there agreed. Our bus was filled with blessing. Then the driver started up the diesel and we were off again. Soon, I was let off at the Imjin-Reservation intersection.

It was good to see the Dove again.

There was a guy washing his Cessna 172 in front of the pilots’ lounge, and a couple of pilots were walking around the fuel pumps as a Luscombe taxied by. One of the locals asked me if my plane was an RV. I told him that, yes, it was an RV-8.

“Where you from?” he said.

I told him. And after my preflight, I cranked over and taxied out. Still overflowing with the joys of life, over my collision experience with another world where those same joys had been felt, seen, heard, touched, and absorbed, I firewalled the throttle and flew toward the crashing waves where sea and sky met.

I beheld a gleam of glory as I pressed onward toward the goal, and heading home made certain of the promise to come again, perhaps in very short order. I saw the rising tide, I smelt the salty air, and I felt my body rising up, higher and ever higher, until the last inkling of the world I left behind cast a final shadow on my hangar door.

Then two worlds became one, and both became new.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM

A beautiful collision indeed. Wonderful photos and observations, Scott.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up Wow!!!

Thank you very very much sir.
Excellent write-up and beautiful photos.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 PM

That aquarium is indeed Spiritual. Years ago the kids and I went there on a whim as we drove up the coast. As we left, I bought a family membership, as I knew we would need to return again, this time when Mom was not working. Eventually, the kids did their first diving there, which they enjoyed enough to pursue certification as soon as they were old enough. Diving has become a significant family activity.

Thanks for the memories, Scott.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM

A stroll down the warf requires a table at Abalonetti’s and a plate of calamari.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2018(my reminder)
Old 02-06-2018, 04:02 AM

Wow... this one took me back to some very familiar places where I had spent a lot of time. On a wintry Michigan day like today, I miss California so much. Thanks again for sharing.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 AM

Default monterey bay

what an awesome diary. I had no idea. thanks. that is now on my bucket list in 2 1/2 years when I retire. thank you sir!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Great Travel Log!!

As I sit in Wisconsin and look out at 6 inches of snow and 7 BELOW zero. I thoroughly enjoyed your thread. Another addition to the bucket list.......
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Well done.

thank you for the post!

2017 dues paid
Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Default its a dry heat tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag View Post
As I sit in Wisconsin and look out at 6 inches of snow and 7 BELOW zero. I thoroughly enjoyed your thread. Another addition to the bucket list.......
Exactly!! like the part where he says it was a brisk morning LOL