What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Propeller Electric CS

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Any rv'ers using a electric CS MT prop that could tell me their experiences from installing to performance? Thanks

MT Prop

Rico. A customer's installation, on a Grumman Tiger, seems to be working well. The wiring can be a bit of a pain, and you must modify the flywheel for the slip ring. It is a LOT lighter than the typical constant speed prop.
Personally, I would only advise this Prop if you had a solid crank and wanted constant speed. The expense and repair difficulty also is a factor.

I have one. It is a 3 blade. Very smooth, durable for flying through rain, much improved takeoff performance over prior props (2 blade wood cruise and catto 3 blade cruise) helps slow down in the pattern when pitched in but will cause afterfire popping in the exhaust when pitched in and descending.

Slowest of the 3 props, have experienced intermittent failure of the p-120-u controller to adjust the blade pitch ( corrosion on wire contact) leading to overspending on departure. Had it overhauled by mt usa deland and experienced paint peeling off in sheets shortly after. Ended up taking it to an auto body shop for strip and repaint.

Spinner didn't align with cowl leaving about a 1 inch gap and spinner was larger diameter than previous which required cosmetic mods on installation.

I have one sitting in the corner of my hangar that came off a Lancair 235 (118 HP), which I bought from the insurance company to part out. The previous owner liked the prop a lot did not have much time behind it before landing and having the right MLG fold, causing a prop strike.

The down side is that it will cost ~$4500 to fix. The blade hit the ground, at idle, must be replaced by MT in Germany. The other negative for this unit is that it is meant only for engines up to 125 HP.

I might, some day, build something I can use it on, along with the O-235 that is waiting to be re-assembled.

I have about 700 hours on my three blade MT electric prop. This is on my RV8 with a Subaru engine. Prop is a very smooth. A bit slow to respond when doing fast throttle changes or aerobatics. No apparent wear with light usage in rain and about 10 years on the plane. I am very satisfied so far

Back