What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? on Garmin 430 Display

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide on a gtn650 or the GNS430W. My question is; if you have ADS-B in will the Garmin GNS430W display the weather and traffic on the screen. If so is it color?

Due the fact I do not like touch screens (I always fat finger the displays). I would like to use the 430W in my aircraft. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a GPS/NAV/COM unit is the capabilities of the unit. Are both units capability basically the same other than touch screen?

It will be coupled to a GRT EFIS for nav and gps support.

Thanks in advance for your input

Phil

I am trying to decide on a gtn650 or the GNS430W. My question is; if you have ADS-B in will the Garmin GNS430W display the weather and traffic on the screen. If so is it color?

Due the fact I do not like touch screens (I always fat finger the displays). I would like to use the 430W in my aircraft. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a GPS/NAV/COM unit is the capabilities of the unit. Are both units capability basically the same other than touch screen?

It will be coupled to a GRT EFIS for nav and gps support.

Thanks in advance for your input

Phil

Many adsb solutions can display on the 430, but very few can display on the 650. Navworx just announced support for the 650.

But I would ask why? I prefer to display traffic and Wx on my EFIS and not on the small 650'screen.

No, the 650 has many additional features. Support of victor airways and displaying holds are just two. With the amount of investment required, why invest in something that will shortly be end of life?

It depends whether you're using Garmin for the ADSB-IN or someone else. I have a Navworx ADS-600B and only get traffic on my 430W. Until recently I also had it feeding an MX-20 which got traffic and METARS but not the rest of the FIS-B data. The 430W is capable of displaying a weather page and other info if fed properly. But Garmin doesn't play well with others so, like with Navworx, you may not be able to get it using non-Garmin ADSB-IN. The 430W display is on separate pages with a pop-up for traffic alerts. I find it rather a kludge because I'm spoiled by the display on my 796. The radar, traffic and TFRs are integrated on the map and the METAR and airport info are a touch away. That's being fed Garmin-to-Garmin from a GDL-39. From the look of the display the GTN has the same/similar software base as the 796 so should have similar capabilities. But whether it can display all the FIS-B info will depend on the ADBS vendor. The GNS430W is a great Nav/Com/GPS but sucks as a moving map/MFD compared to current technology. I panel mounted my 796 replacing the MX-20 and love it. I just dislike having to keep the GDL-39 to feed it. Since you've got a GRT you can probably get all the FIS-B info on it and not worry about the display on the 430W.

Many adsb solutions can display on the 430, but very few can display on the 650. Navworx just announced support for the 650.

The announced support for the GNS & GTN is only to allow the GPS to be used as the position source for ADSB-OUT. It does not include anything other than traffic for ADSB-IN. I asked them specifically about it at SnF. I've got Navworx and a 430W and was very disappointed. Since I've already got the Navworx GPS antenna I get zero benefit.

Bob Archer Antennas

On the 7 build i'm wanting to know if the Archer antennas provide both nav and comm quality performance . Also do they provide vor loc and gs with the proper splitter Thanks Jeff

On the 7 build i'm wanting to know if the Archer antennas provide both nav and comm quality performance . Also do they provide vor loc and gs with the proper splitter Thanks Jeff

Others can correct me if I am wrong but the answer is no and no.

You will need a separate antenna for COM and GPS (430 antenna). With Archer and use of splitter, you can get VOR/LOC and Glideslope.

More info on requirements

I do not have room for a secondary display in the panel. I fly a long EZ. I want to drive the GRT autopilot with either the GTN650 or the 430W.

in addition, I was hoping the 430 would display weather on screen from my iLevil SW ADS-B AHRS unit. The more time that goes by the more I wish I had gone with a single brand name system like Garmin. This compatibility is getting confusing and expensive for the new technology and ADS-B interface with everything.

So let me ask this question: Is the 430w a good dependable unit that can drive a 2 axis autopilot and provide some traffic and weather with a newer Garmin 345 transponder.

I do not have room for a secondary display in the panel. I fly a long EZ. I want to drive the GRT autopilot with either the GTN650 or the 430W.

in addition, I was hoping the 430 would display weather on screen from my iLevil SW ADS-B AHRS unit. The more time that goes by the more I wish I had gone with a single brand name system like Garmin. This compatibility is getting confusing and expensive for the new technology and ADS-B interface with everything.

So let me ask this question: Is the 430w a good dependable unit that can drive a 2 axis autopilot and provide some traffic and weather with a newer Garmin 345 transponder.
If you have GRT autopilot, I would imagine you would have GRT EIFS so why not drive the autopilot with the EIFS. I don't know if you can drive GRT A/P with 430 directly but you can with TT auto pilot, if that helps.

Check with iLevil to see what can be displayed on the 430W. Garmin doesn't publish their interface so it's up to them to reverse engineer the input for the 430W.

The 430W in my Navion drives my Stec 50 w/ GPSS (2-axis) quite nicely. I have my RV-6 set-up to drive my TT a/p from either my 430W or the GRT EFIS via a switch.

What GRT do you have? I have an HX and an HS, but I use the HS exclusively as a backup mfd and primary engine display. I have an Garmin 420W. I prefer to split the HX screen (PFD/MAP), and show wx and traffic there, rather than on the 420W. The 420 display is just not that large, one-third of the HX is bigger. Plus, you look at the MFD a lot more often than at the 420W. If you want to display on the Garmin, then your ADSB-in pretty much has to be Garmin (a few recent exceptions). OTOH the GRT HX can "read" lots of units. I use a Skyradar that I got factory refurbished for $500. Not only is it dual band, it feeds both the HX and, via wi-fi, my iPad with WingX. So I can casually look at wx way ahead on the iPad if I want, while keeping the HX split Map looking closer in, or whatever you want. ADSB-out? Sounds like you have a cramped panel. GRT sells a modified Trig TT-22 transponder that can be controlled by the HX, with the transponder box remote mounted. It can read "ADSB+" from a 430W, so that combo gives you ADSB-out. Autopilots: Both Trio and TrueTrak can be directly connected to the 430W for gps guidance, including gps approaches. But instead, wire the 430W to the GRT, then the GRT to the autopilot; now you have gps, VOR, ILS with GS approaches that the autopilot can perform. Wire a switch to directly connect the 430 to the autopilot in case of efts failure. For about $1K less, you can buy a GRT autopilot that will do all the above (except, no stand-alone operation).
PS added: I too have tried the GTN touch screens, and always seem to touch the wrong thing. Maybe with more practice, I'd be better, but for now I'm happy with knobs.
PS #2: I like the 430W but, as others have said, it is or will be discontinued in the near future. Support will go on for some time, but eventually it will be orphaned. Personally I think it will out live me, but we'll see...

Last edited:

Jeff, may I suggest you start a new thread? No one will see it here, under a different topic. To answer your questions:
Archer com is almost universally rated fair to poor. Reason: Com needs vertical polarization, there just isn't enough vertical room in the wing tip.
Archer nav (horizontal polarization) gets mixed reviews. It is sensitive to installation details. That said, I think the average review is that it has 70% of the sensitivity of a cat-whisker external antenna, and sometimes worse for the VOR in a particular direction ("looking" thru the airframe), but nearly always acceptable for an ILS. Yes, loc and GS with a splitter (some radios, like the SL-30 or the GTN series, have an internal splitter already). For me, I have the Archer nav and am perfectly happy. It's in a -10 with a larger wingtip than the -7, though.

Have the answer

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to drive the GRT autopilot with the garmin 430W. It will drive the GRT EFIS and support GPS and ILS approaches through the GRT fully coupled. I don't care about ADS-B on the GRT screen as I will use a panel mounted Ipad or GDU 370 to see moving maps, weather and traffic.

Back