What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV down in Petaluma 5/27/18

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
https://youtu.be/kPMPrSuD7_4

Two perished. I can't tell the RV model on my cell phone but it should be readable on larger screens.

Witness says engine sputtered on takeoff, plane turned back towards the runway - and "then just fell sideways".

I've seen this plane around but don't know the pilot.

RIP. So sad.

Condolences to the family. My wife and I knew him well as he owned the home directly across the street from me. He worked hard on it the last year getting it ready to rent again. Very nice and friendly. He also had a hangar a few down from my brother's hangar and KLHM. Sad to hear of this.... hits a little close to home.

Very sad situation.....

The Petaluma airport was designed with golf courses and open space at each end to allow for emergency's like this.

A local pilot witnessed the motor fail at about 200' agl on takeoff.

The pilot chose to turn right.

Not what you think you are seeing

The trailing edges look corrugated, but they are not. The wire fence in the foreground is what you actually are looking at, superimposed on the wing.

Merrill

One of the kindest couples I have known. I lurk a lot on the forum but Richard was one of my best friends and Sue was like my 2nd mother to me. Spoke with him the night before for about an hour and then got a text before they departed Petaluma. He was always excited and passionate about flying. Never a guy to cut corners with safety always in mind. The aviation community lost two great people :( I'll try to share more later but I wanted to leave most of that up to the family when they felt the time was right and have proper time to grieve. I really want to remember them thank them both for treating me like a member of the family from the day they met me.

IMG_5898 by NickandLacy, on Flickr

IMG_5902 by NickandLacy, on Flickr

IMG_5900 by NickandLacy, on Flickr

IMG_5903 by NickandLacy, on Flickr

Back