What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming IO-540 Oil Pressure Question

Vans101

Well Known Member
For the Lyco-Saurus IO-540 drivers out there, what is your "usual" oil pressure for the following parameters:

Idle at 1000 RPM engine cold (like 50F oil temp)

Idle at 1000 RPM engine cold-ish (like 120F oil temp)

Takeoff with oil temp at 180-200F

Cruise with oil temp at 180-200F (2300 RPM)

After landing idle 1000 RPM with engine and oil all warmed up

Also, how far in has your oil pressure regulator been turned in (1/4 threaded in/ 1/2 threaded in / all the way threaded in)?

Thanks I am new to Lycoming and I am trying to benchmark my installation

THANKS!!!

Can anyone PLEASE share their experience???

Here is what my system is reading with fresh Aeroshell 100W Plus:

POST OIL CHANGE ENGINE RUN RPM OIL TEMP OIL PRESS

Startup: 1000 73 91

Idling after 10 mins 1000 103 86

Runup 1700 105 82

Max power runup 2600 111 79

Cruise power setting 2500 143 62

Idle after engine run 1000 165 26 Just 1 PSI over minimum allowable with oil at only 165 F

Can anyone PLEASE share their experience??? I am concerned about my idle oil pressure appears to be a bit low...just 1 PSI over minimum allowable with oil at only 165 F. The engine has only 170 hours since major overhaul. It has an oiul fed and regulated turbocharger system from a 1970 vintage Cessna 210.

Here is what my system is reading with fresh Aeroshell 100W Plus:

POST OIL CHANGE ENGINE RUN RPM OIL TEMP OIL PRESS

Startup: 1000 73 91

Idling after 10 mins 1000 103 86

Runup 1700 105 82

Max power runup 2600 111 79

Cruise power setting 2500 143 62

Idle after engine run 1000 165 26

Previously I turned in the oil pressure adjuster all of the way in. I removed the oil pressure adjuster and checked the ball and seat and both are clean and no bur marks. Because I was concerned about the low-ish oil pressure I did the following troubleshooting:

I drained the oil and removed the oil filter (even though there was only 10 hours on it) and opened up the oil filter and inspected the paper membrane and it was completely clean?ZERO debris. Sent oil sample out for analysis.

Installed new oil filter and Aero Shell 100W Plus.

I removed the remote oil pressure sensor line and the fitting that connects the oil line and the block and blew out the hose and fitting and they are clean. I inspected the oil pressure port in the sensor and it was also clean.

To test the accuracy of the oil pressure indication I swapped the oil and fuel pressure sensors (both are Dynon Floscan 201B) and they indicate the same.

To bench mark the pressure sensors I ran my electric fuel pump and it indicated steady 25 PSI fuel pressure and then I swapped out the two pressure sensors and then ran the fuel pump with the oil pressure sensor in the fuel pressure line and it registered 26 PSI so I confirmed that both pressure sensors were accurate.

Additionally I connected the fuel pressure sensor connector to the oil pressure sensor and then ran the fuel pump again and the oil pressure indicated 25 PSI so I know the wiring and the programming is good.

Any suggestions??? Vernatherm? Turbocharger oil system???

THANKS!!!

I personally am only concerned if it?s above 95 or below 55 PSI above idle. At idle with hot oil I?ve seen it below 40. Think the oil temp was 215F for that reading.

Idle after engine run 1000 165 26 Just 1 PSI over minimum allowable with oil at only 165 F

This is a warning that something in your oil system is sub-optimal and headed in the wrong direction. On a newer, healthy engine the warm idle pressure will typically be over 50 PSI. This is the toughest area (warm idle) for the the system to deliver high pressure, so it is the first to warn of wear or problems in the oil delivery system. This is why lyc lists an acceptable idle pressure level. Most common causes are wear in the oil pump or worn/loose crankshaft or rod bearings. Do you clean your sump screen often? blockage at the oil system inlet can create reduced flow, but usually shows low pressure at higher RPMs as well.

No serious danger until the higher RPM readings start also dropping, assuming bearings. However, addressing this early may reduce the overhaul cost if it turns out to be bearings. However, some issues in the oil pump can be such that they could fail completely at any moment, resulting in a complete lack of oil flow. That is a major flight risk. Oil pump sits on the accy case, so relatively easy to rule out without too much work or an engine teardown. If this has been slowly degrading for 100's of hours, risk is likely low for short term, catastrophic failure. If this showed up out of the blue, you should ground your plane and figure it out, as short term catastrophic failure is much more likely.

The real monster in the closet is the oil pump. Lyc has had several ADs on oil pump wear problems that resulted engines seizing. If bearings, they will continue to wear and provide plenty of warning before oil stops flowing adquately. Not the case for oil pumps. Wear issues can quickly lead to a locked up pump and no oil flow. It 'really just two gears in tight mesh with very little external clearance. If a chunk breaks off an impeller (i.e. gear), it often locks up or shred the aluminum housing.

It is likely to continue to worsen,. Could take a few flights and could take 100's of hours, depending upon the cause.

An analysis of the origin of debris found in the oil filter can help to determine which part is failings. Bearings compounds are different than the oil pump impellers.

Do you cut open your oil fiter at every change. A common cause for rapid bearing wear on a lycoming is spalling lifters (large chunks break off the lifter faces and then chew up the brearing when they reach them) and there should be evidence in the filter if that is happening. Several recent threads with pictures.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your advice.

Larry...VERY HELPFUL!!!

>warm idle pressure will typically be over 50 PSI. This is the toughest area (warm idle) for the the system to deliver high pressure, so it is the first to warn of wear or problems in the oil delivery system.

Yes that is why I am concerned now

>Do you clean your sump screen often? blockage at the oil system inlet can create reduced flow, but usually shows low pressure at higher RPMs as well.

Yes just before posting (sorry I did not mention that)

I removed the screen and it was COMPLETELY CLEAN...not even a small particle. The screen was completely intact and not crushed or otherwise damaged. I removed the oil filter and opened it up and likewise...not a single particle.

>Oil pump sits on the accy case, so relatively easy to rule out without too much work or an engine teardown. If this has been slowly degrading for 100's of hours, risk is likely low for short term, catastrophic failure. If this showed up out of the blue, you should ground your plane and figure it out, as short term catastrophic failure is much more likely.

That is my task today.

Thanks guys for your advice.

Larry...VERY HELPFUL!!!

>warm idle pressure will typically be over 50 PSI. This is the toughest area (warm idle) for the the system to deliver high pressure, so it is the first to warn of wear or problems in the oil delivery system.

Yes that is why I am concerned now

>Do you clean your sump screen often? blockage at the oil system inlet can create reduced flow, but usually shows low pressure at higher RPMs as well.

Yes just before posting (sorry I did not mention that)

I removed the screen and it was COMPLETELY CLEAN...not even a small particle. The screen was completely intact and not crushed or otherwise damaged. I removed the oil filter and opened it up and likewise...not a single particle.

>Oil pump sits on the accy case, so relatively easy to rule out without too much work or an engine teardown. If this has been slowly degrading for 100's of hours, risk is likely low for short term, catastrophic failure. If this showed up out of the blue, you should ground your plane and figure it out, as short term catastrophic failure is much more likely.

That is my task today.

I should have been more clear. It is on the inside of the accy case and you will need to remove the accy case to get access. It is held on to the inside of the case with three safety wired nuts. Might want to read the manual to get a visual, but it is a pretty simple component. You are looking for wear on the inside of the housing and the two impellers, as well as obvious gouging and such damage. If no damage is obvious, you will need to check some clearances.

Have you noticed any sluggishness in your prop control recently? Prbolems with the nose bearing can create a very leaky bearing that would likely only show noticeable pressure loss at idle, though I don't have personal experience with that.

I know the older 540s had an AD on the impellers. The core that I bought had recently had it done. You should confirm the part numbers of the impellers, if possible to check for compliance.

Larry

Last edited:
Back