What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing dent from intake tube?

Gusmax

Well Known Member
I have a 35 SMOH IO-360A1A from a Mooney that we be installing on our F4 project. One of the intake tubes has an annoying dent on one of the outside corners. I was thinking of getting some large ball bearings that just barley fit in the inside of tube and welding them to a rod so I can hopefully push the dent out from the inside. I'm at work, so I don't have access to measure them. Does anyone know the inside diameter? Or a better method to remove the dent?

Thank you,

Phil

Intake dents

I once got the closest size ball and just tapped it through with a wooden rod and lube.

Last edited:
tube dent fix

I have a solution for your dented tube. I have done this on a couple sets of tubes. Actually 9 tubes total. Now you may not believe me but I have tubes and pictures to prove it works
I rigged up a way to put air pressure into the tube. ( I don't remember how much but not much as I remember ) Then took a torch and CAREFULLY heated the tube up and the air pressure pushed the dents out.
I bought a set of tubes for my 0-360 to make it into an IO-360. Super cheap. I only paid shipping. All the tubes had dents in all of them. All came out like very nice after I sanded and painted them.
Didn't take very long at all.
I have been a mechanic all my life so have had to come up with some pretty creative ways to fix stuff.
I thought of the steel ball idea and said no way. I'm sure it might work though.
Good dent pushing

Go to your socket set and see if one will just slip in. Tap it through with a wooden dowel.

oops!!.... I thought you were talking pushrod tube.

Last edited:
Tube dent repair

I have a solution for your dented tube. I have done this on a couple sets of tubes. Actually 9 tubes total. Now you may not believe me but I have tubes and pictures to prove it works
I rigged up a way to put air pressure into the tube. ( I don't remember how much but not much as I remember ) Then took a torch and CAREFULLY heated the tube up and the air pressure pushed the dents out.
I bought a set of tubes for my 0-360 to make it into an IO-360. Super cheap. I only paid shipping. All the tubes had dents in all of them. All came out like very nice after I sanded and painted them.
Didn't take very long at all.
I have been a mechanic all my life so have had to come up with some pretty creative ways to fix stuff.
I thought of the steel ball idea and said no way. I'm sure it might work though.
Good dent pushing
This is one of the methods to repair dented 2-stroke off-road motorcycle exhausts short of cut and re-weld.

Back