What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Detail questions to catch up on a new 9a kit

tcoverst

I recently bought a 9a tip-up kit in progress and am in the process of inspecting/logging/catching up on the work that has been done. I need some help knowing if some anomalies are acceptable or need to be re-done.

This particular question centers on the HS and DWG-3.

Where the Front Spar and Front Spar Doubler attach together the plans call for four holes to be left open for fuselage attach later. No problem there, that is all correct. However, where the rear spar and the rear spar doubler plate are joined together, the plans do not call for any extra open holes. On my kit, there are four open holes match drilled through the rear spar and rear spar doubler plate in the identical place that those four open holes on the front spar are left open. It does not look like any compromise to the structure, but since the plans do not call for it, I wanted to check in and see what the VAF braintrust think. Is this ok or does it have to be re-done?

There should be four bolt holes on the rear spar to attach the hinge bracket. Is that what you are talking about? See View D-D on DWG 3. The other holes there all have rivet call-outs. DWG 27A shows the HS attach, and eventually there will be more holes drilled on the rear spar to attach the HS to the Fuselage.

The holes for the bolts for the hinge bracket on the rear spar that Bruce mentions are very close in position to where the open holes are in the front spar so it's possible that you're just seeing the open bolt holes.

I believe that is the attachment bolts for the VS to the HS in the center of the HS. Do you have a photo. Good luck

Also, there are four holes in the rear spar of the HS, that will get match drilled for connection to the fuselage.

You guys are on it

Thanks for steering me toward the detail drawing - that is what I needed to see. No extra holes in my HS after all! Thanks again.
To be clear for those wondering - the "extra holes" I was concerned about are the match drilled pieces for connection to the fuselage. This kit has had the empennage fully mounted before.

Last edited:
Back