What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low oil pressure

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
After engine start taxied out towards the holding point when I suddenly heard Miss Dynon saying "Oil Pressure Low". It was around 15 psi and in the red. Pulled the aircraft back into the hangar and checked the indication with a mechanical gauge, same same. Then the ball in the oil pressure adjuster housing - all good. Next was draining the oil to have a look at the inlet screen (having a Raven inverted system). After the oil drain I realized that the hose from the engine case to the pressure sensor on the firewall might be the cause. I blowed through it and I immediately knew this is it. Refilled the engine with fresh oil and pressure went up as usual.
So it might be a good idea to blow through the pressure hose now and then to avoid oil pressure indicator problems.

oil hose to pressure sensor

... After the oil drain I realized that the hose from the engine case to the pressure sensor on the firewall might be the cause. I blowed through it and I immediately knew this is it. Refilled the engine with fresh oil and pressure went up as usual.
So it might be a good idea to blow through the pressure hose now and then to avoid oil pressure indicator problems.
Thanks for the tip - how did you know that this was the cause of the low pressure reading? Did something come out of the hose or was it clogged?

Some pilots were standing around and looking the engine over discussing what could be the problem. The pressure hose and the oil supply hoses were the only things which could be checked on the spot. When I blew through the pressure hose with my human onboard compressor I could feel the pressure builds up then some clogged oil came out the other end and I immediately knew I found the culprit.

Back