What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alclad scratches

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
The alclad surface on most construction pictures looks fantastic! Mine (outside of the rudder skins) seem to scratch no matter how clean I try to keep the work surface. I've tried leaving the blue film on, but that presents it's own problems (slightest over-pressure on the soldering iron and I've scratched the surface).

So,

1) Is this a problem (planning on paint, not polished whenever the the time comes)? Anyone else have 'less than mirrored' surfaces during construction?

2) Any recc. on avoiding this problem?

Thanks!

John don't worry about scratches just get it airborne. Your painter will take care of them :)

When you paint, the surface needs to be scuffed/scratched all over with a scotchbrite pad. Primer does not adhere well to a smooth, shinny surface.

Just me

I leave the film on as long as possible. I was using the iron to just remove the film where the rivets are, but the iron left a scratch too. Now I just leave the film on until I get ready to prime, pul the film, prime, then dimple. To minimizes the scratches for the painted parts ( interior skins) I found I have to prime/ paint after dimpling, so the film comes off after match drilling and final fitting.

For the areas that get abused, like to botom of the fuse skin, I pull the film, but use some blue tape in those spot areas, changing every few months.

The pure aluminum alclad surface is so soft almost anything will scratch it.

Take a sharpie and write on it. Now take a paper towel with acetone and wipe off the sharpie ink. You'll still be able to read the sharpie writing on the alclad from the minor scratches left behind by the felt-tip sharpie.

It can't be avoided - and the first thing your painter will do is tackle the entire airplane with sandpaper, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Razor blade scratches

I have what look to be some razor blade scratches that I can actually catch my fingernail on on some of my skins. I don't know if I caught them on some of the nails pulling it out of the box or what. Is this going to be a problem or will the painter be able to fix that?

Scratches

I have what look to be some razor blade scratches that I can actually catch my fingernail on on some of my skins. I don't know if I caught them on some of the nails pulling it out of the box or what. Is this going to be a problem or will the painter be able to fix that?

If you're not planning to polish, scuff them till the edges are no longer sharp then spray with rattle can primer or apply it with a Q-tip.

Steve, welcome! I see you are in the Pittsburgh area. If you are near Beaver County, consider meeting up with our EAA Chapter 68. We meet 1st Tuesday of each month (message me for up to date location, usually CCBC Aviation Cemter at KBVI but some months have special locations), and Saturday mornings at 0900 at the Hot Dog Shoppe in Chippewa Township. We?d all love to hear about your 14!

Back