What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Removal Basics

Jimbo54

I've searched prior posts but can't find what I'm looking for.

True confession: I didn't build my RV-12.:(

I'm preparing to remove the wings, and cannot find any instructions. There is a nice YouTube showing a couple of gents doing so...looks really easy. But as there is no accompanying audio, I don't want to assume too much.

It appears that all one does is release the 2 safety pins in the cabin, then pull and repeatedly turn until the insertion pins clear the spars. Next, with the help of an assistant, pull the wings away from the plane until cleared of the fuselage.

What concerns me: what about electrical connections and flaperon connections?

Perhaps the builder didn't give me a manual that explains this process. In looking through the building plans, maintenance manual, and operators manual, I thought I'd find some procedural explanation, but cannot find what I'm looking for.

Any guidance for this information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Jim

The person at the wingtip must grasp the handle with one hand and the flaperon with the other hand. The flaperon must be prevented from falling or else its bottom surface may get dented. Pull the wing out only about 6 inches and look at the wing root to see what type of electrical connectors are there. Most RV-12s automatically disconnect the electrical at the wing root. But some might require manual disconnection. Taking the wings off is easy compared to putting them back on. There are other threads dealing with getting the retaining pin holes lined up. HERE is one of them. Do not tighten that pipe expander too much.

POH chapter 8.6 :

Date: 04/06/18 Revision:6
WING REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
Removal and installation of the wings requires two people, one to hold the wing at the tip end and the second person to hold the stub end of the wing. The person handling the tip end of the wing must hold the flaperon approximately in trail as it will tend to flip around and possibly become damaged when disengaged from the fuselage.
REMOVAL
1. Withdraw each of the fuselage pins only enough to
release the right wing spar.
2. Remove the right wing assembly and set aside.
3. Remove both of the fuselage pins.
4. Remove the left wing and set aside.
INSTALLATION
Installation procedure is reverse of the removal procedure

I also need a pipe expander to install the pins again and I use the "AirGizmos AC2 Red Plastic/Rubber Cushion Control Surface Gust Lock" to hold the flaperons.

I put a soft clamp at the junction of the flaperon and wing before pulling the wing out that way I can have both hands free for carrying and rotating the wing.

I put a soft clamp at the junction of the flaperon and wing before pulling the wing out that way I can have both hands free for carrying and rotating the wing.

I take the straight section of a coat hanger and run it through the gap in the wingtip into the corresponding gap in the flaperon to do the same thing. It's also my aileron gust lock.

I use a large spring clamp with cardboard to protect the skin surface.
I clamp at the outboard section of the wing and flaperon. This holds the flaperon in place, aligned with the wing trailing edge. Works just fine.

As you withdraw each wing, the person supporting the wing tip should try to keep the main spar aligned with it’s slot in the fuselage skin. On my kit the shop heads of large rivets through the main spar stood a bit proud. It took me a while to figure out what was catching the edges of fuse skin at those slots. The wing should slide out easily as the pins are withdrawn. If you feel something catch then stop, mark the high rivet, adjust your position or whatever.

flaperon position holder

I made a simple device that holds the tip of the flaperon firmly in place when the wing is off. Start with 2 scraps of 2x4 about 6 inches long. Hold one against the end of the flaperon and trace the flaperon trailing edge shape onto the 2x4 so that there is a V-notch about 3 or 4 inches deep. Then saw out the V-notch, and duplicate it on the other 2x4. Pad the inside surface of the notches with felt or heavy cloth so they don't scratch the paint on the flaperon or wing tip. Then use deck screws to screw the two 2x4s together, V-notches aligned, with a sheet of plastic between them. Done!

Insert the V-notches over the trailing edges of the flaperon and wingtip, sliding the sheet of plastic into the gap between the flaperon tip and wingtip so that the fixture can't slide spanwise. Hold it in place by looping a 10-foot nylon strap or bungee forward around the entire wing tip. It is quick and very sturdy. No hand holding needed as you move the wing.

Last edited:
Back