What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door to Canopy Mismatch

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
My doors are installed, door seal in place, and I have a mismatch problem.

On the leading edge of each door, the door is sunk in vs. the canopy by worse case about .15". The total length of the mismatch is about 16", starting at zero, growing to about .15 then back to zero.

I don't like the looks, and I am sure it will have a detrimental aerodynamic effect.

So, here is what I plan to do.

Make up some epoxy/micro balloon and add material to the front the door going back to near the window.

Was not planning on reinforcing it with fiberglass cloth at this time.

Looking forward to your comments, suggestions...

Thanks

That sounds like a plan. You could also use some ft stranded bonds. Just be careful not to add so much that the edge looks inconsistent. Mine is slightly inset of the front frame also, doesn't seem to hurt....

When building the Cozy MKIV, one of the rules was if the micro fill is 1/8" (.125") thick or more, cover it with a layer of BID to prevent the possibility of cracking.

As mentioned, mico is great for filling holes and skim coats but not for build up. You could add glass first and get the door in the ball park, then a skim coat of mico on top.

Carl

Most difficult part of the build (canopy and doors). Agree with previous poster, don't micro over 1/8 inch. Build up with strips of glass then micro. Make sure your door hinges are completely finished and tightened. It takes very little change at the hinge to change the fit. I probably had 100 plus hours on fit and fair of the doors as I wanted it perfect.

Interesting. Usually it's the other way around in that the door is a bit proud. I had a different problem with one of my doors. My assumption is that I didn't get the door back in the proper orientation when I cut the trim lines causing the curve not to match to cabin cover frame.

You've got plenty of good advice and I'll repeat it due to the importance.

Use glass strips to build the contour as close as you can get it. Then only use micro to smooth the transitions.

If you don't have heavy duty struts, you may want to consider them since you'll be adding weight to the door.

I Think My Mistake Was.....

I think my mistake was when drilling and fitting the door pins, I did it without the seal in place. I think the seal would have put a little bend in the door. Now that the pins are in permanently, it kinda pulls the door down.

Thanks for all the advice. I will use fiberglass to build up the area.

Back