What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 IO540 S1A5 interference

Drippy

Well Known Member
First off hello everyone, I have been working on my RV10 since 2006 but this is my first post.

Any one install an IO 540 S1A5 motor on a RV10? I went to hang it and the air injector had an interference with the lower mount?

I was going to post a picture, but clearly am email challenged. A quick description is the mixer/fuel injection unit is oriented aft instead of down as I see in most of the Vans drawings.

Thanks up front for any help.

VT RV10

Probably the easiest thing to do is swap out the sump if possible. I installed an IO-540 V4A5 which also posed some challenges, but at least the servo was pointed forward and nothing interfered with the engine mount.

Last edited:
Sump

Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

So you think to get a fuel injector oriented below the engine instead of headed aft I need to change the whole sump housing?

I am planning to call Lycoming Monday and see if they are interchangeable. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, you will need to change the sump. They shouldn't be too hard to find. Call someone like Barrett who has a cold air sump, as he should have some removed standard sumps laying around.

sump

The S1A5 should be an angle valve so a std sump from a parallel valve will not work unless you have custom pipes. It should also take the larger servo then the parallel valve engines.

Not looking to debate whether installing a 290hp angle valve is a good idea or not, but just mentioning that if you go down this road, this is first of many complications you will run into. Perhaps you have already done your homework, but if not, make sure you map out the road ahead before proceeding.

Homework

Andy,

Thanks, a lack of homework has got me where I am today. I took some advice and didn't do enough research.

Am I going to have issues with the cowling fitting ect?

What is a more standard motor for the RV10?

Thanks

Guys,

BTW who is Barrett?

Rear facing sump

I too got a good deal on an engine with rear facing sump. I bought a cold air induction sump from Alan Barrett and swapped out the sump. I then sold the old sump.

If you have an angle valve engine your problems are greater. The engine is wider so cowl mod is needed. It is also heavier so you will have cg issues to work out.

Looking at the whole picture you would probably be better to sell your engine and get one that will fit the ten. In any case ALAN Barrett can help you with all the choices you need to make. He is one of the good guys who is here to help not just to make money.

Barrettprecisionengines.com

Gary Specketer

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I sent a note to Barrett, hopefully he can help me out otherwise I will be looking for a new motor, sort of a bummer at this point to be honest.

But thanks again for the guidance.

Mike

Engine

Mike give me a call when you get a chance. I have a 540 parallel valve engine and maybe we can work a partial swap for your S1A5.

Jesse
970-874-7575

Back