What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headphone plugs?

TimJRV10

Which headset plug option is the best choice for flight training in a rental cessna 172 as well as the rv10 I plan to build?

If you can convince them to add a Lemo plug to the 172, hen panel power is great, otherwise dual GA plugs with straight cords is my preference.

By the time you get your -10 built things may change. Lightspeed just came out with their wireless headset, and electronics are constantly being upgraded. Buy a good quality headset that suits your needs now and see what's available when you are ready to install avionics in your -10.

regards

-Marc

I was recently in the market for a headset and wondered the same thing. I asked lightspeed if you could change a dual plug GA style PFX headset to a panel powered LEMO one. They said yup, for $100. That's all I needed to hear

I have both lemo and standard ga jacks in my RV-10. My headsets are all lemo based so I don't have to deal with batteries. However, I do have a lemo to ga jacks just in case I have to take my headsets to,another aircraft.

I have both lemo and standard ga jacks in my RV-10. My headsets are all lemo based so I don't have to deal with batteries. However, I do have a lemo to ga jacks just in case I have to take my headsets to,another aircraft.

The LEMO connector to GA Plug adapter comes with the AKG AV-100 headset.

11-08741.jpg

You can purchase one for the Bose A20.

The Lightspeed PFX cannot be used with a LEMO connector to GA PLUG adapter as the LEMO connector PFX does not have batteries in the control box and requires an adapter that has batteries.

11-03570.jpg

Talking the the Lightspeed Customer Service department, they told me that the adapter with batteries may NOT work.

Be careful using a LEMO connector to GA Adapter as it may not work on all LEMO connector headsets.

Will plan to purchase Bose A20s with Lemo plugs and the GA adapter

Based on the input so far, I think I'll wait to purchase my 'long term' headset until the plane is completed and find an ANR headset with battery powered, twin plugs for training.

Thanks for weighing in!

Tim

go with panel powered on the 10

I love the panel powered plugs. Less wires, no batteries. It's just great.
The other day I had an instructor fly with me and he wanted to use his own dual plug headset. Oops, got no plugs for that. It's probably a good idea to have the other style plugs also or at least an adapter cable.
Lightspeed's control boxes are becoming larger and larger... and now with the wireless option one more battery to worry about. They looked at me funny when I asked them if I'd have to include their box in my W&B calculations.

You may be looking for ANR, but you can also get a Halo with dual plugs for now and then when your 10 is done have it converted to a lemo style plug. They are great and cost way less than a Bose A20 or AKG.

Lenny

I love the panel powered plugs. Less wires, no batteries. It's just great.
The other day I had an instructor fly with me and he wanted to use his own dual plug headset. Oops, got no plugs for that. It's probably a good idea to have the other style plugs also or at least an adapter cable.
Lightspeed's control boxes are becoming larger and larger... and now with the wireless option one more battery to worry about. They looked at me funny when I asked them if I'd have to include their box in my W&B calculations.

You may be looking for ANR, but you can also get a Halo with dual plugs for now and then when your 10 is done have it converted to a lemo style plug. They are great and cost way less than a Bose A20 or AKG.

Lenny

Another vote for both dual plugs and LEMO. That's how I wired all 4 of my headset locations. I like being able to use the Halos for the wife and I, and the kid or passengers get panel powered Bose, so they don't have to worry about batteries, or sticking foam tips in there skulls.

I had dual plugs + lemo at every location, but after a while I cut out the dual plugs from the 4 seats, but left a set of dual plugs in the center console. They would not be useable by co-pilot or pilot. For people who need dual plugs, I bought a couple of adapters like Lenny. They will work fine for that occasional use, and wiring up all the fine wires on the lemo plugs plus standard plugs is a real PIA.

In the -14 that I'm building, I'm doing pilot and co-pilot Lemo, and then a center set for standard dual plugs. I figure it's useful for camera connections and such. I'll just carry another adapter if I ever get a situation where I may need dual for pilot and co-pilot.

Back