What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Center console options?

BTP880

Im looking into building a -14 and I got bored at work so I have been messing around with panel configurations at work. This is all purely "for fun" as I haven't even started yet. But I got curious if something would work, I am wondering if mounting something like a GTN750xi in the position shown would be possible. It "theoretically" fits in my model but that is based only on the panel model Van's released. I cannot see the exact geometry of the floor or tell if mounting something like this here would be too wide and interfere with leg clearance for the rudder pedals. Any owners/builders have experience or feedback on this kind of idea.

P.S. the exact angle and positioning is just to get an idea across.

jC8josDaCBV6f8x8_lPeeIcgAZ7GV1ErOtGf2Gtp98KBa65MXakzg3u0YKdNRL2XCH0mwX4cSaExVd6poKtgg_B51UxVrDkjAogSIWfYgGBm5A_NgHaRxQG_3HdA9Q6WUJj40lJPbmMW2fJSDdbi_jVUUcTq1a936JOwWkFoFRP6p9yfu4d_ld51b3kPKrJcgcGTOYvo4Wv_G1Kv_MCfwRF9bmvzMo4csY2xCDqZU0rCT83IU3SdLGwBUalVpuIZZwVYGQC0-5meFwJ5qsRQbUmEr_6nv-DjMqEQGmQMQxMMB21U5mMocWcmzIWCbJfp17NAZEJsOkMrCJbpFc4fpO3jo7RbM6I3bp8bI1RVnwCADa9_-ZMQHefxGYtN_2tmFbOPn_5rqsRazdiKZRqLlPk_uut1uLIOXR9M6RDs25TuuY4EJ8fxOia9PfXw-52KwDDERl-bDfwyFlup4eBZeilUACYHCv5dhoPSCzNxO5YcfUIhTLQ10qffUp30HGF5zEwQE8VCPzKHvm4RJaoNFnLj3W0eZWobWr506YNJtRWjiNnGB6BKGPWsrYnmb0NUiUQTT3-Fh29lkUlblVCtWs_-AYNxxodruvV0TmIAzTjBr16_qJfl-uUYwwCqdYXX2SwY6XL9zNRy4DFF_8D76n3NvDKF22U0-Dq45Z1xIPDIuKgBN_pmufI=w1158-h652-no

923smyEB1Dg3h-KMQ54OFTdXgBG4A50tGiCtF6ZqWNxYdDut4s67rhat9qojmxNRGlM0QUrvrMqxdGbBu0njPEP5FV-rL3XeTZD0kh7FZNw0a-ru5HULphWxVb7zR_22-uaMcZwNPw5KYWAp6DkWsigIMOuPO4nTehBen0EGPPoWIBzVXe-wO0D9OL1NC3rZe4Mo2DiwnB6sVfXLLu9nU1PX5PRrBVVipBS11MlgKMQ1eCFcbs5qAUPYZX5d1pSeAtKAyAXHc34QKYC8H9TzpEjW9QVLsKfsAt8gqBqnoMQ8dxAk3Zsy5xlIobUOXppfrZpRxNvcjjrvC8n-s77EcULv1bUSHrHSwIu05_3c00dMgTIi6sGQy34SPGg4MrisLJwLinZ4aZkbMyLy1_om6j_RwCdXo8jlCBqd2Yje1LaPJN2DJFo4o4_RPepFHsA2bUyZ8VxRc6cNBwk0go7GyOrvxfV6G97JslrwaY2efVaT66bNTB3H45QpIjOOCwdEzIEoCQvt9r1YOgBCmFU6qaHUiz2r6hL8x5iCsO1ccUuDp8jBHVq7fQ3pGvl_VEpo9qVpp57725FzYY2gyoms8h3fAkWhYDkIYhG5kpsNaI1vZ9lFhS70SKLJh_FFVbz7z8JInqER8i8RO_JzZnP_qCk7Av8OakDCW39hkXkj8-RHh_88cR3hw6k=w479-h652-no

Certainly possible but consuming that area will take a significant amount of cabin space away from you and your passenger .. I would try to get it all on the panel .. it doesn't seem like it from just the drawing but that open area accounts for a lot of comfort in the 14

Also, don't be afraid of the smaller navigator screens, they are quite effective, especially with the big G3X screens. However, plenty of folks have fit the larger navigators in there by eliminating or relocating the canopy release handle.

Last edited:
Certainly possible but consuming that area will take a significant amount of cabin space away from you and your passenger .. I would try to get it all on the panel .. it doesn't seem like it from just the drawing but that open area accounts for a lot of comfort in the 14

Also, don't be afraid of the smaller navigator screens, they are quite effective, especially with the big G3X screens. However, plenty of folks have fit the larger navigators in there by eliminating or relocating the canopy release handle.

+1

I never look at my 430, except to change a frequency, put in a flight plan or load an approach. G3X and ipad covering everything I need.

Yeah and even if i went with a 750 (overkill) it fits in the panel but I wanted to make a center console type thing and relocate the throttle to the center console so I got curios if this would work as it may flow nicely and leave room on the panel for switches and such.

It is fun to dream. Just remember, avionics should be among your last purchases. They change faster than anything else.
One detail: get a 750 installation manual, if possible, and look at the fine print. To be a legal installation for IFR use, the annunciators must be within certain distances (horizontally and vertically) of your central line of sight (usually the attitude indicator/PFD). Alternatives include displaying the annunciator info on your efis, or remote annunciators near the AI. More stuff to think about. Personally, it seems a shame to pay for that big display, and then hide it.
BTW, I?m going by what?s written. I don?t see any pictures.

It is fun to dream. Just remember, avionics should be among your last purchases. They change faster than anything else.
One detail: get a 750 installation manual, if possible, and look at the fine print. To be a legal installation for IFR use, the annunciators must be within certain distances (horizontally and vertically) of your central line of sight (usually the attitude indicator/PFD). Alternatives include displaying the annunciator info on your efis, or remote annunciators near the AI. More stuff to think about. Personally, it seems a shame to pay for that big display, and then hide it.
BTW, I?m going by what?s written. I don?t see any pictures.

Yeah I know they are a last decision.....Just like you said fun to dream. Can others see the pictures?

Im looking into building a -14 and I got bored at work so I have been messing around with panel configurations at work. This is all purely "for fun" as I haven't even started yet. But I got curious if something would work, I am wondering if mounting something like a GTN750xi in the position shown would be possible. It "theoretically" fits in my model but that is based only on the panel model Van's released. I cannot see the exact geometry of the floor or tell if mounting something like this here would be too wide and interfere with leg clearance for the rudder pedals. Any owners/builders have experience or feedback on this kind of idea.

P.S. the exact angle and positioning is just to get an idea across.

I cannot view the images. Probably a permissions issue? Dunno.

Back