What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A sleeping with others

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

A great hangar (36'x44') came up locally last month and I was lucky enough to purchase it. I'm now in the process of setting it up to finish my build and for year round use. I'd like to add a small mezzanine above the work area (12'x16') which will impact the floor layout slightly. I'd like to squeeze a second aircraft in to help with the running costs. I figure a high wing Cessna (170/172/182) would work if it's wing clears the RV14's cowl.

My question is does anyone have the height of the 14A cowling top? Also the distance from the underside of a Cessna wing to the floor? Also is there anything else I should consider with this setup?

Thanks Jim

Should be no clearance problem with the cowl, but keep the prop non-vertical and watch out for the vertical tail! And the Cessna horizontal tail.

One other thing to consider is whether each airplane can be moved out and back in without moving the other.

Ed

Check that the height of the Cessna tail will fit under your mezzanine, if it has to roll back that far. That said, I've seen people put a ramp under the nosewheel of the tri-gear to get the tail to drop under the mezzanine as it rolls back into place.

Thanks for the replies. The ceiling in the hangar is 17'6" so I'm planning the mezzanine at 9'. This would allow the 14 tail (8'2") to fit under if req'd. My bigger question is will the under side of a Cessna wing clear the the 14's canopy. It's not ideal situation as cockpit access to the 14 will be limited due it being a tip up but would free up a lot of floor space (another build in the future? ;))

Does anyone have the measurement handy? (I'm sitting in my hotel on layover drawing the out the layout)

Cheers Jim

Back