What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No hole for cotter key in axle

Robert M

Well Known Member
I am trying to follow a punch list to wrap up the things that need to be done. On that list was to tighten the axle nuts and put in the cotter keys. Wait a minute, no holes!

Am I supposed to drill these holes? I don't know I can be that accurate with a hand drill 'cause the landing gear AIN'T comin' off this plane.

Without the cotter pin the nut WILL come off and there is no place to safety wire the bolt that holds the wheel pant on.

I guess I can tighten the nut up really tight, drill one side of the axle and then the other.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Yes, you are to drill the cotter pin hole. It's always been this way.
Do not tighten the nut "really tight". Tighten until there is no slop.
Best done with the wheel off the ground so you can make sure that the bearing is properly seated.
And yes, drill one side, pin the nut and drill the other side.

Last edited:
To keep the drill from walking, make a flat area where you want the hole to be using a Dremel and cutoff wheel, then center punch and drill.

Tony

I marked the spot on the axle threads where the hole needed to be drilled and drilled the hole without the nut in place. That way you don't create a burr from the drill that prevents you from unscrewing the nut. As noted above, you can file down the threads in that location, use a center punch and then the drill bit won't wander.

Once you get the hole drilled on each side, then run the bit through both holes at the same time to square up the angle of the hole. Otherwise, when you try to poke the cotter pin through, it might aim up or down and miss the other side on the way out.

I am trying to follow a punch list to wrap up the things that need to be done. On that list was to tighten the axle nuts and put in the cotter keys. Wait a minute, no holes!

Am I supposed to drill these holes? I don't know I can be that accurate with a hand drill 'cause the landing gear AIN'T comin' off this plane.

Without the cotter pin the nut WILL come off and there is no place to safety wire the bolt that holds the wheel pant on.

I guess I can tighten the nut up really tight, drill one side of the axle and then the other.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

You might check your instructions again, Robert. Somewhere they describe the process and necessity for doing this.

Back