What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quadrant Cables

PlaneBuilderBill

Well Known Member
I started routing the cables for the Throttle, Mixture and Governor....

If I proceed the way Van's suggests, the governor cable will exit the fuse inside of the extended fiberglass cheek and curve around and above the left footwell to the governor cable bracket. It seems like the 45" cable that Van's sells is about one foot too long! I will have way too big of a loop to contend with especially since it should pass just behind the oil cooler. Any comments?

If this cable cuts through the fuse inside of the fiberglass cheek, has anyone put any kind of support as it passes thrugh the thin fuse skin?

I also have the two cables for the throttle and mixture that Van sells. Do these cables go through the firewall in the skinny part between the firewall frame and the edge of the firewall? I have called Van's tech support and they said this was the most common way.

These cables then must make a fairly tight turn to the right, in front of the footwells and then a tight left turn to mount to Van's cable-attach bracket.

I guess my question(s) is more of a request for advice on these installs.
I would welcome any and all comments.

Thanks,

Throttle/Mixture Cable routing

I am in the proccess of rigging my throttle and mixture as well. I have a L/H quadrant of my own design, and fabricated a small adjustable bracket just forward of the bulkhead frame next to your left knee as sitting in the cockpit.Both cables curve up over the top of the left rudder pedal,and then curve downward through the battery tunnel and out through the firewall.They operate very smoothly .I can send you pics if youd like. I have no prop control, so I cant speak for that, however, a hole through the side skin is no big deal as long as your not notching stringers,ect.

Bill E.
RV-4 prepping for paint

Cable routing

Bill F, you say "If I proceed the way Van's suggests, the governor cable will exit the fuse inside of the extended fiberglass cheek..... ". Where do you see this? In my build book p.11-2 it says ...."...a throttle quadrant on the left sidewall...cables are available from VANS..". Is there more instruction elsewhere?

Bill E., if you are sending pics could you please copy me at [email protected] , or better perhaps post them here?

Thanks

Cables

Other RV4 builders,
I am in the same situation right now. I never thought about routing the prop control out the side instead of the firewall. I don't have my engine mounted yet so I can't properly test it. I too would be very interested to hear what others before us have done.

Sincerely, Brian Vickers

Throttle and Mixture cables

Here is how I routed mine..I am doing the fine adjustments now,and everything is very smooth.I am using an O320 H2AD,so my cable bracket on the engine is one of my own design.These are the VANS recomended cables, I bought a while back..dont remember the lengths.
Good luck!

Bill E.
RV-4

tmcable1df6.jpg
tmcable1df6.jpg
tmcable2ip7.jpg
tmcable3iu1.jpg
tmcable4pw7.jpg
tmcable5vl7.jpg
tmcable6xx5.jpg

Thanks Bill E.

A fiew photos are priceless at times. Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4, working on cockpit and panel

I am at this step now and I really have no idea what others do. I have a carburated o320 E2d, no prop control, so it should be a very common setup. The links to the photos above seem to be broken since it was posted 9 yrs ago. Can anyone suggest a hood blog or build site for this? Axel's fuel injected so not applicable, though it is a great site.

Back