What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I rivet my canapoy?

SJordan

Well Known Member
Can I rivet my canopy?

Hi guys,

I'm beginning to finish an RV4 kit that never made it the final stretch. The canopy is mostly done with a very nice aluminum skirt. I do though have two questions on finishing it up.

The canopy skirt is still missing some rivets that go between the skirt and the canopy brace in the middle. I obviously can't "squeeze" these but can I use my rivet gun on these with a bucking bar or will I run the risk of cracking my canopy with the vibration from the gun?

Also my canopy is just pop riveted to the tube frame. I do not see any pro seal or Sikaflex used anyplace. Should I run a bead of either product on top or bottom of the tube frame?

Thanks for any advice

Shawn.

IMG_0068.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Use 3M5200 fast cure(available at west marine $23). Scuff, clean and mask the area and cleco it into position. 24 hours later, you have a permanent slightly flexible(allows for differential expansion rates between plastic and metal). Also do a test piece and place a $100 bill above it. If someone can separate the two, give them a $100, if not, they give you a $100. You will be a rch man. This was the technique recommend by Todds canopies. It works great!

Back