What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx ADS600-EXP AMOC Disable UAT

jaustinmd

The NavWorx ADS600-EXP has no provision for external, approved GPS input. The "doghouse" GPS module is no longer an option since NavWorx has ceased business. Therefore, presently there is no AMOC option for ADS600-EXP owners and they must remove or disable their EXP units in January.

It occurred to me that if the ADS600-EXP could be at least utilized as an ADSB-IN receiver, at least some of the investment could be recouped and it would enhance safety by retaining the ability to receive FIS and some TIS (although the "donut" would no longer be centered on the aircraft).

Here is the body of a letter I submitted requesting an AMOC:

I have a NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT installed in my experimental amateur-built airplane. When I remove or disable the NavWorx ADS600-EXP to comply with the recent AD, obviously I will also lose ADS-B-in (receive) capability and will have to purchase and install either another, approved ADS-B IN-and-OUT UAT or at least an ADS-B-IN receiver if I want to continue to receive traffic and weather to enhance my safety while flying. As it presently stands, there is not a viable AMOC for this unit other than removing the unit or disabling it per the AD since the ADS600-EXP (experimental) units will not accept an external, FAA-approved GPS. NavWorx has ceased business so there will be no modifications or upgrades available from them.

I was studying the NavWorx ADS600-EXP installation and configuration manuals and noted that the normal default mode of the UAT is that the transmitter is disabled and is only activated when the unit is properly configured with the NavWorx UAT Console configuration software via a wifi connection. If any item of configuration data ( such as not inputting the transponder source for altitude/squawk data) is omitted, the NavWorx ADS600-EXP transmitter is automatically disabled (which can be verified with the NavWorx UAT Console configuration software ? it displays a prominent red warning the UAT is not configured for flight and the manual explains this means the transmitter is disabled) and consequently broadcasts absolutely NO ADSB data of any sort - I have verified this with testing.

Further, it is impossible to re-activate the ADS-B OUT transmitter inadvertently ? one has to establish a wifi connection with a laptop pc and deliberately and properly configure the ADS600-EXP to activate the transmitter. However, the NavWorx ADS600-EXP functions normally as an ADS-B IN receiver even when the OUT transmitter is disabled and one can still receive FIS and TIS data (of course, the TIS ?donut? is no longer centered on the aircraft). I have also verified this with testing.

Since removal of the NavWorx ADS600-EXP results in a total financial loss of investment for the owner, it seems reasonable that there should be an AMOC to allow ADS600-EXP users to convert their units to ADS-B IN receive-only so as to retain a useful function and recoup some of their investment. This would result in maintaining some additional safety of flight since FIS and some TIS information would be available and would NOT affect the safety and integrity of the NAS since absolutely no data is being broadcast to the NAS.

Here is my suggestion for an AMOC for the NavWorx ADS600-EXP:

1. Utilize the NavWorx ?UAT Console EXP (avionics installer)? configuration software to access the ADS600-EXP.
2. Set the ?Transponder Interface? input box to ?NONE.?
3. Verify the transmitter has been disabled by assuring the software displays a red box ?UAT not configured for flight.?
4. Place a placard on the ADS600-EXP unit ?NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT Transmitter Disabled.?
5. Perform a test flight and request a FAA Public ADS-B Performance Report and verify that no report was generated to verify the UAT transmitter is disabled.
6. Make a logbook notation that the NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT Transmitter is disabled and now functions as an ADS-B IN only receiver.

Please consider this request. Since only a placard and a software configuration change are required, it would require less labor than complete removal of the unit and all the related accessories (GPS antenna, TransmonSPE, ADSB antenna, and associated wiring and cabling. It would retain receiver functionality and that would enhance flight safety and situational awareness. It would also let owners recoup at least part of their investment. And finally, it would present no adverse effects on the NAS as it would strictly be a passive receiver and not transmitting possibly erroneous data to other users of the NAS.

Comments?

AMOC not necessary

If you can permanently disable the transmitter then it is not any different than a Stratux. Remove the NavWorx P/N from the box and you are good.

The NavWorx ADS600-EXP has no provision for external, approved GPS input. The "doghouse" GPS module is no longer an option since NavWorx has ceased business. Therefore, presently there is no AMOC option for ADS600-EXP owners and they must remove or disable their EXP units in January.

It occurred to me that if the ADS600-EXP could be at least utilized as an ADSB-IN receiver, at least some of the investment could be recouped and it would enhance safety by retaining the ability to receive FIS and some TIS (although the "donut" would no longer be centered on the aircraft).

Here is the body of a letter I submitted requesting an AMOC:

I have a NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT installed in my experimental amateur-built airplane. When I remove or disable the NavWorx ADS600-EXP to comply with the recent AD, obviously I will also lose ADS-B-in (receive) capability and will have to purchase and install either another, approved ADS-B IN-and-OUT UAT or at least an ADS-B-IN receiver if I want to continue to receive traffic and weather to enhance my safety while flying. As it presently stands, there is not a viable AMOC for this unit other than removing the unit or disabling it per the AD since the ADS600-EXP (experimental) units will not accept an external, FAA-approved GPS. NavWorx has ceased business so there will be no modifications or upgrades available from them.

I was studying the NavWorx ADS600-EXP installation and configuration manuals and noted that the normal default mode of the UAT is that the transmitter is disabled and is only activated when the unit is properly configured with the NavWorx UAT Console configuration software via a wifi connection. If any item of configuration data ( such as not inputting the transponder source for altitude/squawk data) is omitted, the NavWorx ADS600-EXP transmitter is automatically disabled (which can be verified with the NavWorx UAT Console configuration software ? it displays a prominent red warning the UAT is not configured for flight and the manual explains this means the transmitter is disabled) and consequently broadcasts absolutely NO ADSB data of any sort - I have verified this with testing.

Further, it is impossible to re-activate the ADS-B OUT transmitter inadvertently ? one has to establish a wifi connection with a laptop pc and deliberately and properly configure the ADS600-EXP to activate the transmitter. However, the NavWorx ADS600-EXP functions normally as an ADS-B IN receiver even when the OUT transmitter is disabled and one can still receive FIS and TIS data (of course, the TIS ?donut? is no longer centered on the aircraft). I have also verified this with testing.

Since removal of the NavWorx ADS600-EXP results in a total financial loss of investment for the owner, it seems reasonable that there should be an AMOC to allow ADS600-EXP users to convert their units to ADS-B IN receive-only so as to retain a useful function and recoup some of their investment. This would result in maintaining some additional safety of flight since FIS and some TIS information would be available and would NOT affect the safety and integrity of the NAS since absolutely no data is being broadcast to the NAS.

Here is my suggestion for an AMOC for the NavWorx ADS600-EXP:

1. Utilize the NavWorx ?UAT Console EXP (avionics installer)? configuration software to access the ADS600-EXP.
2. Set the ?Transponder Interface? input box to ?NONE.?
3. Verify the transmitter has been disabled by assuring the software displays a red box ?UAT not configured for flight.?
4. Place a placard on the ADS600-EXP unit ?NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT Transmitter Disabled.?
5. Perform a test flight and request a FAA Public ADS-B Performance Report and verify that no report was generated to verify the UAT transmitter is disabled.
6. Make a logbook notation that the NavWorx ADS600-EXP UAT Transmitter is disabled and now functions as an ADS-B IN only receiver.

Please consider this request. Since only a placard and a software configuration change are required, it would require less labor than complete removal of the unit and all the related accessories (GPS antenna, TransmonSPE, ADSB antenna, and associated wiring and cabling. It would retain receiver functionality and that would enhance flight safety and situational awareness. It would also let owners recoup at least part of their investment. And finally, it would present no adverse effects on the NAS as it would strictly be a passive receiver and not transmitting possibly erroneous data to other users of the NAS.

Comments?

You're asking the wrong audience. You need to have a conversation with Kyle in the Fort Worth ACO. His contact info is on the AD. The other person, Mike, retired at the end of last month.

One phone call will save you significant aggravation. Kyle can guide you through the process.

I don't have an EXP. Have you validated that it will work as a receiver? I know the ADS600-B doesn't work at all without the transponder enabled and you have three green status indicators.

The FAA couldn't care less what you are using for an ADS-B receiver, their only concern is the integrity of an ADS-B transmitter. If the NavWorx device can't transmit, it is no longer any different in a regulatory sense from any other receiver you might install in your plane. No "permission" is required from the FAA to operate a receiver in our aircraft.

Last edited:
You're asking the wrong audience. You need to have a conversation with Kyle in the Fort Worth ACO. His contact info is on the AD. The other person, Mike, retired at the end of last month.

One phone call will save you significant aggravation. Kyle can guide you through the process.

I don't have an EXP. Have you validated that it will work as a receiver? I know the ADS600-B doesn't work at all without the transponder enabled and you have three green status indicators.

Actually, this message was sent to Kyle! As you suggest, I'll follow-up with a call if I don't hear back promptly. I thought I'd solicit additional comments from interested parties in case there were issues I haven't thought of.

I have verified that the ADS600-EXP works perfectly as a receiver even when the UAT transmitter is disabled - FIS, TIS, and the WAAS GPS still transmit data via wifi to my iFly 740, although, of course, the "donut" for traffic is no longer centered on the plane.

Last edited:
The FAA couldn't care less what you are using for an ADS-B receiver, their only concern is the integrity of an ADS-B transmitter. If the NavWorx device can't transmit, it is no longer any different in a regulatory sense from any other receiver you might install in your plane. No "permission" is required from the FAA to operate a receiver in our aircraft.

I agree that the FAA could care less about ADS-B receivers (and obviously a remotely mounted receiver is virtually undetectable), HOWEVER, the AD makes no provision for altering the ADS600-EXP except to disable the transmitter other than by removing it or pulling the breaker and disconnecting the antenna, making it totally unuseable.

A reasonable person would probably wink and say, "Sure, no problem if the transmitter is disabled," but, if an ambitious inspector found the box still in the plane after January and it was still cabled and powered, it could be construed as in violation of the AD ... seems to me it would just be "cleaner" to have it in writing!

Actually, this message was sent to Kyle! As you suggest, I'll follow-up with a call if I don't hear back promptly. I thought I'd solicit additional comments from interested parties in case there were issues I haven't thought of.

I have verified that the ADS600-EXP works perfectly as a receiver even when the UAT transmitter is disabled - FIS and TIS are still received, although, of course, the "donut" for traffic is no longer centered on the plane.

Having worked with Mike and Kyle, I highly recommend talking to him asap. They are mandated by some very rigid ISO processes on how they process all input. That will take time. They can tell you up front what you may have to do to ensure smooth sailing.

The question that came to mind, that Sam also just brought up, is an AMOC required? My initial reaction was probably not, but then the AD states that the unit must be removed and/or disabled. I suspect you would probably still be in violation of the AD if left in as a receiver. But I think, Kyle would render feedback fairly quickly over the phone. Kyle is a very much by the book type of guy.

Having worked with Mike and Kyle, I highly recommend talking to him asap. They are mandated by some very rigid ISO processes on how they process all input. That will take time. They can tell you up front what you may have to do to ensure smooth sailing.

The question that came to mind, that Sam also just brought up, is an AMOC required? My initial reaction was probably not, but then the AD states that the unit must be removed and/or disabled. I suspect you would probably still be in violation of the AD if left in as a receiver. But I think, Kyle would render feedback fairly quickly over the phone. Kyle is a very much by the book type of guy.

Thanks for the advice! I've got a voice-mail waiting on him and will update this thread when I get new information.

I agree that the FAA could care less about ADS-B receivers (and obviously a remotely mounted receiver is virtually undetectable), HOWEVER, the AD makes no provision for altering the ADS600-EXP except to disable the transmitter other than by removing it or pulling the breaker and disconnecting the antenna, making it totally unuseable.

A reasonable person would probably wink and say, "Sure, no problem if the transmitter is disabled," but, if an ambitious inspector found the box still in the plane after January and it was still cabled and powered, it could be construed as in violation of the AD ... seems to me it would just be "cleaner" to have it in writing!

If push came to shove you could have an ADS-B Performance Report in your hands in a matter of minutes showing the NavWorx device wasn't tranmitting during your last flight. :)

Any news on your request to use the Navworx EXP as an "in-only" ADS-B unit. It works great showing traffic and weather on my AFS 5400. If allowed to do this, I'd only need an "out" unit installed.

Bob Cowan, RV7A 500 hrs

Any news on your request to use the Navworx EXP as an "in-only" ADS-B unit. It works great showing traffic and weather on my AFS 5400. If allowed to do this, I'd only need an "out" unit installed.

Bob Cowan, RV7A 500 hrs

Kyle Cobble with the FAA responded that he is "considering" my request ... at least it was not immediately rejected! I'll certainly update this thread as soon as I hear something - positive or negative.

Retaining the NavWorx as a receiver would be a perfect solution for me as I now have a wingtip-mounted uAvionix "skyBeacon" ADS-B out. uAvionix provided me with a pre-production prototype and my blog about the skyBeacon and an installation tutorial are here: http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/uavionix-skybeacon-adsb-out-installation-and-review (You really don't need much of a tutorial because the installation is incredibly easy - 2 wires, 3 screws, and you're done!)

Fingers crossed on the NavWorx!

John

Disable TX in the console and disconnected the transponder input? Worst case is to repackage the hardware after disabling the transmitter.

NavWorks alternative

I talked to Dallas Avonics today, and they say a simple, fairly inexpensive solution is just about to be annouced. Stay tuned.

I talked to Dallas Avonics today, and they say a simple, fairly inexpensive solution is just about to be annouced. Stay tuned.

A "solution" as in an AMOC so the NavWorx ADS600-EXP can continue to be fully functional (IN and OUT ADSB), OR, a "solution" as in an alternative product to replace the NavWorx EXP???

A "solution" as in an AMOC so the NavWorx ADS600-EXP can continue to be fully functional (IN and OUT ADSB), OR, a "solution" as in an alternative product to replace the NavWorx EXP???

My interpretation is that it's an alternative product to replace all Navworx units. We'll have to wait for the announcement. At least Scott isn't preannouncing specifics until he is sure he can deliver.

This was my reaction as well... Why are people even asking the FAA about this? Just disable the transmitter as suggested, and fly on...

This was my reaction as well... Why are people even asking the FAA about this? Just disable the transmitter as suggested, and fly on...

The fuzziness comes in with the language from the AD. It basically states to disable and remove all Navwork units.

I don't think the FAA cares if it doesn't transmit. Getting an AMOC would be the safe bet if checked and an overzealous inspector wonders why you haven't complied with the AD.

Last edited:
Your Navworx box is broadcasting a WIFi signal that clearly tells anyone nearby that you have one on board. It would certainly be a easy way to target you for a ramp check.

fixing the AD situation

Just to clear things up. Dallas Avionics is a family owned business that has been around almost 40 years. We don't do installations, but sell to avionics shops. The Navworx venture was something new for us. I know lots of people, me included are left with useless hardware. But it pales in comparison to how much leftover hardware that is a complete write off at the company. All in all, an expensive manufacturer failure.
Scott Edwards will have a press release tomorrow that will offer previous customers with an experimental ADS-B, a completely new product. It will be heavily discounted for those holding a serial number from previous box. I have seen the design and like the plug and play nature of the wiring. I don't particularly like being upside down under the panel in my RV for too long, and especially when it was working fine to begin with.
So, hang in there, we are hopeful our "new" company partnership turns out much better than the last one. (all commentary on Van's is personal, not official communications from DA-in case the boss has other thoughts) Cheers, Nick

Bob Cowan, RV7A 500 hrs

Received an email today from Kyle Cobble at FAA that he is going to make my email request an official AMOC proposal. He asked if I wanted it to be a global AMOC so anyone could use it and I said "yes."

He said there are other people involved in the process and he can't guarantee approval, but they would let me know within 30 days.

Recently, I was testing an ADS-B out product and there was a possibility the NavWorx ADS600-EXP, even though the UAT was "disabled" (at least the Console software said it was not configured for flight and the FAA wasn't receiving any ADS-B out transmissions from the ADS600-EXP!), was causing some interference. Testing needs to be repeated with the NavWorx ADS600-EXP completely powered-off to evaluate this, but unfortunately, there will be a delay for several days before I can get back to it ... stay tuned!

Received an email today from Kyle Cobble at FAA that he is going to make my email request an official AMOC proposal. He asked if I wanted it to be a global AMOC so anyone could use it and I said "yes."

He said there are other people involved in the process and he can't guarantee approval, but they would let me know within 30 days.

Update:

The last few days I have been corresponding with Kyle Cobble on details of the AMOC and get the impression that it will be approved soon.

Great update!

Thank you for your efforts John. I am hoping to use your solution when approved. Vic
RV8 fiberglass and wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post

Update:

The last few days I have been corresponding with Kyle Cobble on details of the AMOC and get the impression that it will be approved soon.

John, any updates on the AMOC since we have hit the 30 days?

Today, I received FAA approval of my application for a global AMOC to disable the ADS600-EXP transmitter and continue to use the unit as a receiver. I posted the details in a blog: http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/navworx-ads600-exp-global-amoc-alternative-means-of-compliance-di

Obviously, this is only attractive to those wanting a receiver (and perhaps those who want to wait closer to 2020 before getting a full 2020 compliant system) and those who happen to have an ADS-B out-only UAT such as the uAvionix skyBeacon.

I would caution that anyone performing the AMOC carefully test afterwards to assure that there is no interference with any other electronic devices on the plane!

Good work. Is AOPA going to help distribute this AMOC like they are doing with the others? I think there will be significant interest in this solution.

John, I've been trying to get info on how to disable the transmit of the certified Navworx
in my C180 so I could install a GDL 82 for the out but can't get answer. Called AOPA last week and talked to Chuck??? and he was not up to date on info either. Should be able to do the same with the certified units with a AMOC but no one seems to know or care.
Thanks,
Larry
RV-4

The installation manual states that failure to completely configure the ADS600-B will result in the transmitter being disabled, so you should be able to disable it in the same manner as the ADS600-EXP. Of course, my AMOC is specific to the ADS600-EXP so you would have to apply for another AMOC.

Two cautions:

1. Although the ADS600-EXP works fine as a receiver with the UAT transmitter disabled (I display mine on an iFly 740), someone (I believe it was in these forums) said the ADS600-B did not work as a receiver with the UAT transmitter disabled. I don't know if this is accurate or not or perhaps it is a display problem - maybe that person will see this and comment.

2. I've been doing some beta-testing of an uAvionix skyBeacon as my ADS-B out device. Today, I achieved a "perfect" (absolutely 0 errors!) Public ADS-B Performance Report and plan to now test it in conjunction with the transmitter-disabled (per the AMOC) ADS600-EXP to be sure there is no interference. There shouldn't be, but in very early testing with both units energized there was a hint there "might" be some interference (with the NavWorx transmitter disabled) and I unplugged the ADS600-EXP for the rest of the tests to first be sure I had a good skyBeacon installation. Now that I have a "perfect" skyBeacon baseline, I'm hopeful to get a test of the two units operating together tomorrow ... stay tuned!

Last edited:
Thanks John,
Was going to edit post and accidentally deleted it. I?ll see what
I can find out and maybe be able to keep the in info. Time is
running out.
Larry

Well ... bummer! I re-connected the ADS600-EXP with the disabled UAT and flew some test flights today with the skyBeacon UAT. I did two flights and requested a PAPR after each and they both showed an approximately 50% "Baro Alt" fail! As stated, the NavWorx UAT was disabled and even the TransMonSPE had been disconnected and removed from the transponder antenna cable, so I don't see why this happened - perhaps some sort of electronic interference elsewhere? (All test flights were in an area of good ADSB and radar coverage and flown at similar altitudes and patterns.)

I then disconnected the ADS600-EXP, flew a third flight, and the "Baro Alt" completely resolved - 0% errors! In early skyBeacon testing, I also had "Baro Alt" errors and uAvionix questioned if the NavWorx might be the culprit ... they were right!

Ironically, the ADS600-EXP worked great with my iFly 740, reporting TIS and FIS data with no problems and providing WAAS GPS to the iFly.

So, the ADS600-EXP does seem to work fine with the UAT disabled when used as a stand-alone receiver. However, it is apparently NOT compatible with the skyBeacon UAT. I don't know if this is unique to the skyBeacon but I would definitely recommend testing for interference with other ADS-B out devices!

Thank you John for seeking out the global AMOC.

With all that's going on with the uAvionix product, this sounds like a better option until they resolve all their issues.

The installation manual states that failure to completely configure the ADS600-B will result in the transmitter being disabled, so you should be able to disable it in the same manner as the ADS600-EXP. Of course, my AMOC is specific to the ADS600-EXP so you would have to apply for another AMOC.

I believe that the transmitter disabling technique will also work for the certified ADS600-B. The product that Avidyne sells is essentially an ADS600-B with the transmitter disabled (and a special Avidyne display protocol in the software).

If you still have a line of communication with Mr. Cobble, it might be easier/faster for him to expand the applicability of your existing/approved AMOC than to approve a new data package for another applicant.

Navworx ADS600 Exp

If the UAT antenna is disconnected, a dummy 50 ohm load could be connected to the unit so it cannot transmit.

Don Wiltse
RV-9A
Warner Robins, GA

UAT

Hi,
I am looking at doing the conversion to Navworx ADSB to make it in only. Do you happen to have a copy of the current UAT console?

Regards,
Jerry

Hi,
I am looking at doing the conversion to Navworx ADSB to make it in only. Do you happen to have a copy of the current UAT console?

Regards,
Jerry

I can email it to you, but it?s a large exe file that is usually filtered by most email systems.

I don?t think what you are trying to accomplish is feasible. Unless you get all green status bars on the console, the unit takes itself offline.

UAT Console

Sorry to sound naive, what is the UAT console? Maybe I can help, I've been installing the Navworx units and think I have everything?

UAT Console

The UAT Console is software you run on a remote device(laptop, tablet, phone) to setup the Navworx unit. I had someone email it to me as a zipped( compressed) file, so to pass email filters for file size retraints.

I'm currently operating the NavWorx ADS600-EXP, ADS-B-IN only, according to the AMOC. I can send you the UAT Console app if you need it. I've sent it to several users already. Send me a PM if you need it.

I need the UAT software if anyone has it and can email me. [email protected]

I have the EXP coming and need to be able to program this out per the AMOC. I have a hard wired Trig TT31 so it won't be used for anything except feeding weather and traffic data into a display.

I'm in the same boat (a/c); I'd appreciate a copy, as well.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Charlie

Since I gave up my own domain mail server, I am now unable to send the file using my gmail account. Zipping or renaming files get rejected by their server due to possible virus... And unfortunately, I am unable to load it on to my old ftp server for pickup.
If you send me a SD card, I will be happy to load it & send it back to you.
Send me a PM and I will send you my address.
I made this offer to LeeMajors as well.

Dan was nice enough to work with me to get copies of the Navworx docs and the console software into 'the cloud', so I'm paying it forward, if anyone else needs them. Below is a link to my Onedrive account, sharing the two files. I can see/download them using the link; if you can't, let me know & I'll try to find a workaround.

Thanks, Dan.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apqg8nolaTA6gT3JvkIjGZ-oWp29

Back