What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield fiberglass question

LyleM

I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks
If you apply packing tape carefully, it does a very nice job of providing the non-stick you want along with a very thin gap. Pull off a piece of packing tape and try to measure its thickness.

Lyle,
I just rebuilt my canopy. It was not as bad as I expected. I used plastic pipe tape and it worked great.

This is how I taped it before epoxy. The plastic tape bends around the curves very much like pin stripe tape. It is 20 mil thick so great protection. A good coat of wax and it popped off great.

Here is the rough finished piece after pulling it off the canopy. I will sand, prime, and then glue it on.
20_zpsbbvslnnz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There are a few more pictures of my canopy rebuild here. Hope the links still work!
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/rockwoodrv9a/library/rv9a?sort=3&page=1

Back